Queens’ Rule Supreme On River

Queens’ M1 smash the field at Winter Head to Head

christs college rowing downing First and Third Fitz jesus johns LMBC Queens' Rowing

Queens’ M1 (Men’s First Boat) blew the opposition out of the water at today’s Winter Head to Head.

They recorded an aggregate time of 13:04 for both 2k legs, including a blistering 6:06 downstream.

Downing grabbed the runners-up spot 16 seconds back (13:20), beating LMBC (John’s) into third on 13:33.

Before results were announced, Queens’ Captain Nick Gates was quick to play down their chances: “We don’t expect to win. It wasn’t a great row, especially the upstream leg, and we’ve only done one high-rate piece in training.”

LMBC Captain and M1 Stroke Matt O’Connor was in no such mood. “John’s are the fastest f***ing boat on the river,” he screamed elatedly after a solid second leg, also adding “And Jesus are sh*t” for good measure.

Jesus and FaT both withdrew at the eleventh hour today, prompting suggestions that they may be running scared. Jesus were quick to blame illness among the crew, while FaT claim to have been struck down with food-poisoning, blaming a “dodgy bit of mince at crew pasta last night”.

Further down the placings, a rejuvenated Pembroke took fourth (13:38), closely followed by Caius (13:41) and a much-improved Robinson (13.51).

Christ’s, meanwhile, had an absolute nightmare. With a time of 15:18, a lot of work will have to be done to avoid slipping down the charts in Lent Bumps (23-27 February). The only question to ask until then: just how much faster can Queens’ go?

The day also saw some excitement for Emma M2 , who capsized while trying to spin by the Pike and Eel pub. All eight rowers plus cox were plunged straight into the icy Cam, providing some impromptu entertainment for the other waiting crews.  Let’s hope their bank party had enough spare kit…

Emma M2 showing how to tip an VIII:

Click here for a video of the Emma boat going under.

For more of The Tab‘s exclusive coverage of the Winter Head to Head click here.