Monster Munch

“I was never consulted on Sky News’ Union plans”, says Loony Party chief.

alan howling laud hope Cambridge Union Monster Raving Loony Party sky news Union

When the head of Sky News, John Ryley, landed a televised election debate for the first time in British history, he was met with adulation.

But at the Union last Tuesday, it seems that not everyone was so impressed.

After a speech on ‘Television and Democracy’, Ryley was met with a volley of abuse from an animal rights activist, who shouted: ‘minorities deserve to be seen on TV’.

He then stormed out of the chamber, before reappearing with yet more criticism.

Ryley admitted under questioning that smaller parties will not be given airtime.

In an exclusive interview with The Tab yesterday, Alan ‘Howling Laud’ Hope, leader of the Monster Raving Loony Party (MRLP) is “very upset” about the admission.

“Nobody has ever asked me”, he said.

He told The Tab that if MRLP was given a voice people would “turn on instead of turn off” to politics, and complained about the BBC turning down his idea for a MRLP version of Not the Nine O’clock News.

“People would dash home to turn it on” he proclaimed.

The party was established in 1983 by musician and politician David Sutch, also known as Screaming Lord Sutch.
After his death in 1999, the leadership was passed to Hope, and famously, his pet, Cat Mandu.

At the Union Ryley also announced a Sky News campaign to allow cameras in courtrooms, which was met with disapproval by critical students.