Exclusive: Richards Succeeds Vickerman As Blues Rugby Captain

New Blues Rugby captain appointed – read more here.

Blues cambridge rugby Cambridge University Dan Vickerman Jimmy Richards Rugby varsity match

The Tab can exclusively reveal that full-back Jimmy Richards has been appointed Blues Rugby captain for the 2010-11 season.

The decision was made at a packed team-meeting held yesterday evening at Grange Road. Richards’ captaincy now begins with immediate effect.

CURUFC insiders report that Richards, a graduate Economics student at Hughes Hall, beat off stiff competition from number 8 Ben Maidment and former Ulster prop Niall Conlon en route to the top job.

Richards’ appointment has been generally well-received, Blues flanker Ed White calling him a “very good choice” and adding that “he’s a popular guy within the squad with a well-deserved reputation for being a big match player. He really stepped up to the plate at Twickenham”.

Other squad members have also been swift to give the new skipper their full support.

South-African born Richards, 26, put in an excellent showing in the 2009 Nomura Varsity Match, scoring a try (which can be viewed in the highlights) and scooping the Man of the Match award in the Light Blues’ 31-27 win.

These developments mean that former Wallaby Dan Vickerman will relinquish his captaincy of the side for the 2010 Varsity defence. Contrary to some reports, Vickerman will not now be heading to Northampton full time, the 6’8″ lock preferring instead to focus on his academic commitments.