Hare and Hounds Outfoxed by Oxford

Follow the Tab's coverage of the Men's and Women's Cross-Country Varsity Matches here

The Light Blues slumped to defeats in both the Men’s and Women’s Varsity Cross-Country matches despite a breathtaking individual victory by Naomi Taschimowitz.

Cambridge Ladies  17 – 21 Oxford Ladies

A tightly-contested encounter saw the Cambridge Ladies sink to a narrow loss. Despite starting well, the Light Blues simply could not capitalise on the early platform provided by Taschimowitz and teammate Amanda Scott. Instead, they found themselves powerless to resist as Oxford advanced through the field.

Michelle Sikes, last year’s Ladies’ winner, led the charge as the Dark Blues methodically picked off their opponents, relegating them one-by-one from the scoring positions. Excellent team-work allowed Oxford to consolidate and defend their position, although the result was never a certainty.

Taschimowitz, however, enjoyed a day to remember, leaving rivals in her wake as she smashed through the pack to take a stunning 41 second victory. Scott also finished strongly, taking a well-deserved third place in a top 10 otherwise dominated by the Oxford contingent.

Individual Results:

1.    N.Taschimowitz       Cambridge   (23:22)
2.    M.Sikes                   Oxford    (24:03)
3.    A.Scott                    Cambridge   (24:29)
4.    H.J.Munn                 Oxford    (24:44)
5.    N.R.Lopez               Oxford    (24:55)

Cambridge Gentlemen 28 – 52 Oxford Gentlemen

Cambridge’s Men crashed to a heavy defeat, as Oxford made it two from two.

Last year’s top pair, Dark Blues Richard Franzese and David Bruce, once again made light work of the wet 7 ½ mile course, blazing a trail for the rest of the Oxford team to follow. Speed merchant Bruce eventually completed the course in an excellent time of 38:02 to take the individual honours, with Franzese hot on his heels.

Teammate Andrew Heyes followed closely behind him, completing a 1-2-3 for Oxford and a crushing overall victory. The Tab’s very own James Kelly was the Light Blues’ sole representative among the top 5 finishers in what can only be described as a demoralising defeat for a very committed Cambridge outfit.

Individual Results:

1.    D.J.Bruce               Oxford    (38:02)
2.    R.C.Franzese         Oxford    (38:09)
3.    A.R.Heyes              Oxford    (38:25)
4.    J.M.Kelly                 Cambridge (38:36)
5.    L.A.Caldwell            Oxford    (39:27)

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

Oxford votes YES to a disaffiliation referendum

OUSU decides to put NUS disaffiliation to a vote while the CUSU referendum decision will be made next week.

Which Pokémon is your college?

Find out if your college is the very best, like no one ever was…

“Friends with benefits” means nothing

The ‘friends’ part is unnecessary. The ‘benefits’ part is disappointing.

, Bristol Editor of The Tab

Capitalism is dying – and we’re all becoming socialists

51 per cent of millennials ‘do not support’ it

QUIZ: How vain are you?

Bet you think this quiz is about you

, Editor of The Tab London

Staggering results show three-quarters of students want to leave the NUS

According to a Tab poll of 6,500 people

, National Editor

There’s going to be an investigation into sexist advertising

Reaction to the Protein World ads highlighted a need for change

,        

We’ve found the best alternatives to Naked palettes

Who wants to pay £38.50 for eyeshadow?

and

What trainers should you be wearing?

Take our quiz to find out