Rugby Preview: Lent 2010

Check out The Tab’s predictions for promotion and relegation this season!

Cambridge downing jesus johns Rugby Trinity

The Tab looks ahead to an exciting term of College Rugby

Division 1:

Current champions John’s make for a familiar sight at the top of the Division 1 table. Despite being pushed hard by a determined Downing outfit last term, it’s hard to see anyone else taking the title. The race for second place should be a considerably more interesting contest.

Downing go into Lent term with a slight edge – they have straightforward fixtures against Girton and Catz to look forward to. Jesus, meanwhile, face a much tougher proposition if they are to match last season’s runner-up performance: their five remaining fixtures include two matches against both Trinity and Downing and a game against John’s. When asked for a comment on Jesus’ chances, Downing prop forward and CURFC League Secretary Ali McWhirter said the following: “Jesus can get ready for us to go hard – we’re not going to pull any punches. They just don’t know how much anger we’re bringing“.

At the foot of the table, whipping boys Catz are destined for an immediate return to Division 2. Fellow strugglers Girton look set to join them.

The Tab predicts:

Champions: John’s

Relegated: Girton, Catz

Division 1 League Table:

Name P W D L Points

John’s 6 6 0 0 24
Downing 6 4 0 2 18
Jesus 5 4 0 1 17
Trinity 6 3 0 3 15
Girton 6 1 0 5 9
Catz 7 0 0 7 7

Division 2:

Queens’ find themselves in pole position in the race for promotion; a win against Fitz (against whom they suffered a shock loss in Michaelmas) will guarantee them Division 1 Rugby next year. Magdalene currently hold the other promotion spot; the result of their fixture against Tit Hall will determine which of the two sides gets elevated to the top flight. At the other end of the table, Selwyn, who have scarcely been able to field a full XV all year, are going to be playing Rugby in Division 3 next season. Pembroke and Fitz are locked in a tussle to decide the other relegation spot, playing each other home and away this term. That Pembroke’s other remaining fixture is against Selwyn must make them favourites to avoid the drop, although the odds are that their second match against Fitz – the last game of the season – will still be a thriller.

The Tab predicts:

Champions: Queens’

Promoted: Magdalene

Relegated: Fitz, Selwyn

Division 2 League Table:

Name P W D L Points

Queens’ 8 7 0 1 29
Magdalene 8 6 0 2 26
Tit Hall 8 5 0 3 23
Fitz 7 3 0 4 16
Pembroke 7 2 0 5 13
Selwyn 8 0 0 8 2

Division 3:

In Division 3’s two pool system, strong showings from Robinson, Clare, Emma and Homerton were enough to book places in this term’s Division 3 ‘Promotion League’. Robinson and Emma, who went undefeated in their respective pools, must be favourites to make the step up to Division 2, although a mercurial Homerton side might yet cause an upset. Homerton utility back Jon Crook had this to say about his side’s chances “We’ve got a good enugh side to get promoted – we just need to win all our matches. If Seb Dunnett actually gets a haircut, who knows what might happen?”. Meanwhile, Sidney, Caius, Christ’s and Churchill make up the ‘League of Shame’. Sidney are the only one of the four to have won more than one game all season, making them slight favourites to earn the dubious distinction of ‘League of Shame Champions’.

The Tab predicts:

Promoted: Robinson, Clare