In-Spired

Night Climbers have defied gravity and planted 25 santa hats on Cambridge's highest spires.

Dare Devils have defied gravity to place Santa hats on many of Cambridge’s highest and steepest spires.

Speaking exclusively to The Tab, one climber said “we have been planning this for two years” adding “it’s a sport with the potential to ruin your life”

The seasonal head-pieces can be seen on all four pinnacles of the King’s chapel, on the Pembroke Porters Lodge spire and throughout the Downing site.

The hats appear on the pinnacles of all four King’s chapel spires.

Speaking to The Tab, King’s porters expressed confusion about how the tricksters had reached the highest point in the College. They, however, did not believe the culprits to be King’s students and were in good humour about the whole affair.

The offending festive wear is also seen on the spire above Pembroke Porters Lodge.

The Night Climbers are Cambridge’s secretive building-scaling society. As many as 30 people dabble but the central core has about 10 consistent participants.

Our informant, who obviously wished to remain anonymous, added a warning; “it’s not the same as it used to be – security is everywhere”.

This particular climber has never been caught despite a number of close calls. “once I got spotted on the roof of Trinity and a number of porters came and scanned it but i lay low till they left”

When asked about motivation, the climber responded “it gives a real sense of freedom and a perspective of Cambridge that no one else can get”.

Currently, 19 out of the original 25 hats are still in place, including on Clare College, Sidney Sussex College, the Pitt building, Corpus Chapel, the New Museum Site and the Old Library.

Photos by George Marangos-Gilks

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

Tab Tries: Craigslist

Craigslist is a strange and magical place. Just in time for May Week, have The Tab found the solution to your pathetically bad love life?

What should your college disaffiliate from?

What should students turn their lack-of-disaffiliation anger towards?

, Assistant Editor

That ‘cube personality test’ everyone is sharing is actually a pickup artist scam

It won’t tell you anything about yourself

, Editor, The Tab Brookes

Rhodes Must Fall founder has received ‘a flow of death threats’

The university had to step in to discuss his health and safety

Your old Beauty and the Beast VHS could be worth £800

Bet you gave it to a charity shop years ago

Brummie is the ugliest accent in the UK

Over 8,000 of you voted in our poll

, Cardiff Editor at The Tab

I asked my friends why they think I’m single

Some were brutal

The NUS black students’ conference have voted to ban prisons

The motion was called ‘Prisons are Obsolete! Abolish Them Now!’