By , Senior Tab reporter on

Night Climbers have defied gravity and planted 25 santa hats on Cambridge's highest spires.

Dare Devils have defied gravity to place Santa hats on many of Cambridge’s highest and steepest spires.

Speaking exclusively to The Tab, one climber said “we have been planning this for two years” adding “it’s a sport with the potential to ruin your life”

The seasonal head-pieces can be seen on all four pinnacles of the King’s chapel, on the Pembroke Porters Lodge spire and throughout the Downing site.

The hats appear on the pinnacles of all four King’s chapel spires.

Speaking to The Tab, King’s porters expressed confusion about how the tricksters had reached the highest point in the College. They, however, did not believe the culprits to be King’s students and were in good humour about the whole affair.

The offending festive wear is also seen on the spire above Pembroke Porters Lodge.

The Night Climbers are Cambridge’s secretive building-scaling society. As many as 30 people dabble but the central core has about 10 consistent participants.

Our informant, who obviously wished to remain anonymous, added a warning; “it’s not the same as it used to be – security is everywhere”.

This particular climber has never been caught despite a number of close calls. “once I got spotted on the roof of Trinity and a number of porters came and scanned it but i lay low till they left”

When asked about motivation, the climber responded “it gives a real sense of freedom and a perspective of Cambridge that no one else can get”.

Currently, 19 out of the original 25 hats are still in place, including on Clare College, Sidney Sussex College, the Pitt building, Corpus Chapel, the New Museum Site and the Old Library.

Photos by George Marangos-Gilks

Heard something on campus?

By on

Tab tries: Horoscopes. Again.

Horoscopic advice from astrological wizard Patrick Wilson.

By , Deputy Editor, The Tab Cambridge on

Tab TV on power: trousers, hair volume and why you should fuck the patriarchy

Alice Pavey out on the mean streets of Cambridge. Sidney St, that is.

By , Sheffield Editor of The Tab on

Sheffield Why the word hun is over

U ok hun

By , Chief Reporter on

Stars of Hollyoaks: Where are they now?

OB even went back to uni

By , Features Editor on

A dieting and exercise app made me relapse into anorexia

Sarah only got better when a therapist finally convinced her to delete it from her phone

By , Tab reporter on

Durham Meet the Instafamous third year who gets paid to go on holiday by ASOS

If you haven’t got a five figure following, who even are you?

By , Chief Reporter on

Meet the stripper who pole dances on the London Underground

She didn’t even clean the poles first

By , Chief Reporter on

If you’re homesick by now, university just isn’t for you

Going home after three weeks? You won’t last three years