Caius’ promotion put on hold

Some of the highlights from a sparkling weekend of action in college football’s lower leagues

caius Clare division 2 division 4 division 7 football King's lower leagues Tit Hall

Every week The Tab reports on the latest in the lower divisions of college sport. Last week we followed the prospects for promotion and relegation in Rugby’s Divisions 2 and 3. This week we turn to football, featuring the three leagues which have seen the most games this term, divisions 2, 4 and 7.

Division 2

Caius bid to reach the top flight was dealt a surprising blow at the weekend, with the league leaders held at home by struggling Kings.

Having won all four matches prior to kickoff, the hosts were expected to win comfortably. In the end though, Kings earned a 1-1 draw, their first point of the season.

Caius remain top, but missed an opportunity to stretch their lead over Long Road to six points.

The Sixth Form college remain four points behind, but with two games in hand. At the bottom, Kings were joined on one point by Clare, who broke their duck for the season with a 2-2 draw at home to Darwin.

Division 4

Anyone looking for entertainment in the Cambridge football leagues should definately check out Johns II. In five matches so far this season, the bottom club in Division 4 have conceded a sensational 33 goals.

This weekend saw them put four past Jesus III, yet contrive to lose the game 8-4.

Having played four of the division’s top five sides, Johns will be hoping for a steep improvement after the winter break. At the top, Downing II and Homerton II lead the pack, with Downing having defeated CCCC 2-1 on Sunday.

Division 7

The lowest placed first team in Cambridge is still searching for a win after the weekend fixtures, after St Andrews lost 4-1 at home to Emma III.

In a league with flexible fixture lists however, they have played just two games, and are one of four sides without a point.

Tit Hall III top the table with a decent return of ten points from five games. However, post Chistmas, they will surely be pegged back, as Emma trail by a point with a game in hand, with Sidney Sussex II a further three points behind, but with three games over the league leaders.

Full tables can be viewed on the Cambridge University Asssociation Football Club website at http://www.cuafc.org/