Catz Triumph As Rain Wrecks Weekend

Catz I claim shock win as wintry weather disrupts Ladies’ Netball fixture list

Catz downing girton jesus Ladies Netball

Every week The Tab brings you match reports and the results from Ladies’ First Division Netball.

This week saw a surprise victory for Division 1 strugglers Catz I against Trinity I and a thumping win for Emma I over a weak Girton side. However, a stormy Saturday afternoon led to postponements in the other half of the week’s fixtures, with key games involving joint leaders Downing I and Medics having to be cancelled.

Trinity I 11 – 15 Catz I

Catz produced the result of the week as they defied the form-book to pick up a narrow win over Trinity. Despite having conceded over 100 goals in the season so far (including a 31-9 thrashing at the hands of Downing I), Catz found form when they needed it most and defeated a competitive Trinity side by a small margin. The result gives Catz some breathing space at the bottom of the table and heaps the pressure onto Downing II, who now face an even tougher task to avoid relegation.

Girton I 9 – 20 Emma I

Emma I continued in their rich vein of form, smashing Girton I by 11 goals. Building on last week’s 21-4 annihilation of Catz, the result sees Emma leapfrog over rivals Jesus, whose game in hand – against the table-topping Medics – is bound to be a tough one. Meanwhile, Girton have now slumped to their third successive defeat and find themselves in serious danger of being sucked into the relegation battle.

Downing I – P-P – Downing II

Hopes of a grudge match between Downing’s first and second teams were scuppered by heavy rainfall and treacherous conditions. The match is scheduled to be re-played in the next fortnight; on past form, the result looks like a foregone conclusion.

Jesus I – P-P – Medics

The eagerly-awaited clash between Jesus I and Medics was another casualty of the wintry weather; this was a cause of some disappointment to both teams. Jesus player and CULNC League Secretary Charlotte Wood was perhaps more disappointed than most, having foregone an opportunity to go out on the lash on Friday night in anticipation of a tough match the following day. One can only hope that the rest of the team followed Wood’s admirable example. The match is also scheduled to be re-played in the next fortnight.

Team
Played
Won
Drawn
Lost
GD
Points
Downing I 5 5 0 0 79 25
Medics 5 5 0 0 39 25
Emma I 6 3 0 3 1 16
Jesus 5 2 1 2 21 15
Trinity I 5 2 0 3 6 12
Girton I 5 1 1 3 -19 9
Catz I 6 1 1 4 -62 8
Downing II 5 0 1 4 -65 3

NB: The points system works as follows: Win = 5pts/ Draw = 3pts/ Loss < 50% = 1pts / No Umpire = – 1pt

The week’s results leave the division intriguingly poised, with title contenders Downing I and Medics having to play one another at home and away in the coming weeks. Both camps remain bullish about their title chances, Downing I captain Rebecca Brake commenting that “losing is just not an option – we’re all about the Downing Domination!” Whether or not Brake’s optimism is misguided remains to be seen…

Next week’s Division 1 fixtures:

Downing I vs. Medics

Emma I vs. Trinity I

Jesus vs. Downing II

Girton I vs. Catz I