Watch Out Cambridge

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Facebook Twitter

The Prime Minister of Singapore has warned of foreign competition to Cambridge.

Speaking at the 800th anniversary gala dinner, Singapore’s Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said the University was losing out to world competition. 

“The best United States universities – Harvard, Stanford, Yale, MIT – have become outstanding centres of teaching and research. Top Ivy League universities are now at least on a par with Cambridge,” Mr Lee said.

Mr Lee, who studied Maths at Trinity, also highlighted the threat posed to Cambridge by the rising reputations of institutions in China and India.

His comments come just weeks after the Times Higher Education declared Cambridge the second best university in the world, knocking Yale down to third place but coming second to Harvard.

Cough up for Cambridge

Mr Lee claims his alma mater is increasingly unable to compete with other Universities’ staggering budgets. Harvard alone has an endowment of US$26 billion. 

A university report earlier this year threatened that Cambridge will be forced to charge US-style tuition fees of up to £7,000 per annum if stingy government funding levels do not increase.

But M.A. Cantab may still be worth more than a degree in equine studies from Anglia Ruskin; Mr Lee conceded that “Cambridge remains a great university”.

No comment was given by Loong on the slipping state of Oxford, which in recent rankings worryingly fell to fifth place, behind Imperial, UCL and Yale.

Facebook Twitter
  • Sean bean

What a moron

Heard something on campus?

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Heart throb Radnor at Union

Josh Radnor cements his fan base in Cambridge

By , Senior Tab reporter on

“Slum in the Cellars”: Cambridge charity group organises POVERTY SIMULATION at Clare

They deleted the event quickly afterwards

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Finn McRedmond Week 1: Haters gonna hate, and with good reason

FINN talks not giving a shit and uses a picture of Taylor Swift

By , Sheffield Editor of The Tab on

Sheffield Why the word Hun is over

U ok hun

By , Chief Reporter on

Stars of Hollyoaks: Where are they now?

OB even went back to uni

By , Features Editor on

A dieting and exercise app made me relapse into anorexia

Sarah only got better when a therapist finally convinced her to delete it from her phone

By , Tab reporter on

Durham Meet the Instafamous third year who gets paid to go on holiday by ASOS

If you haven’t got a five figure following, who even are you?

By , Chief Reporter on

Meet the stripper who pole dances on the London Underground

She didn’t even clean the poles first