Watch Out Cambridge

The Prime Minister of Singapore has warned of foreign competition to Cambridge.

Speaking at the 800th anniversary gala dinner, Singapore’s Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said the University was losing out to world competition. 

“The best United States universities – Harvard, Stanford, Yale, MIT – have become outstanding centres of teaching and research. Top Ivy League universities are now at least on a par with Cambridge,” Mr Lee said.

Mr Lee, who studied Maths at Trinity, also highlighted the threat posed to Cambridge by the rising reputations of institutions in China and India.

His comments come just weeks after the Times Higher Education declared Cambridge the second best university in the world, knocking Yale down to third place but coming second to Harvard.

Cough up for Cambridge

Mr Lee claims his alma mater is increasingly unable to compete with other Universities’ staggering budgets. Harvard alone has an endowment of US$26 billion. 

A university report earlier this year threatened that Cambridge will be forced to charge US-style tuition fees of up to £7,000 per annum if stingy government funding levels do not increase.

But M.A. Cantab may still be worth more than a degree in equine studies from Anglia Ruskin; Mr Lee conceded that “Cambridge remains a great university”.

No comment was given by Loong on the slipping state of Oxford, which in recent rankings worryingly fell to fifth place, behind Imperial, UCL and Yale.

Heard something newsworthy?

REVIEW: Ten Plagues

Dani Cugini is confused and mesmerised by one of Cambridge’s most experimental shows to date.

Pro-Palestine Societies boycott Middle East Peace Week

They claim the talks were organised to “direct attention away from the growing success of Israeli Apartheid Week”.

and and

Tab Tries: Cambridge Escape Rooms

We got locked into several locked rooms for an hour and had to solve a series of weirdly difficult challenges to get out.

, Chief Reporter

There’s a new app that works out what kind of dog you are

It uses artificial intelligence

, Chief Reporter

Your social media game is making you seriously undateable, says science

Don’t get caught Facebook stalking

, Chief Reporter

Checking Facebook all the time is damaging your sleep

Study finds it’s interfering with your shut eye

Boxing gets a bad rep. We’re not all thugs and brawlers

‘It’s like trying to playing chess while getting hit in the head’

and and

The things going to Catholic school taught me about life

Mass is where all the sexual tension is played out