College Bar Crawl: Week #1

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Facebook Twitter

The Tab begins its tour of college bars.

Week #1: Catz.

Ok, its décor doesn’t do it many favours. There used to be a large papier mâché cat that presided (somewhat demonically) over the bar but since its mysterious departure, the bar has lost yet more sparkle. However, its central location – Catz is nestled between King’s and Queens’ –  makes it a good place for pre-lash. And it has an absolutely lovely head barman, who will give you a nickname upon arrival which you’ll be hard pressed to shake for the rest of the night (or your degree, if you actually go to Catz) and flirt outrageously with you over the sticky bar. It’s not got a Wii, or a flat screen TV, or, well, any clean tables, but Catz bar kind of reminds you of that place you all loved because you always got served, even though the barmen used to see you walking in in your school uniform and getting changed in the toilets. (Clue: that’s probably why he served you.) Not in the respect that its populated by perverts – disclaimer: that wasn’t where I was going with that – but in the sense that it’s slightly run down and often a bit dead, but it still has a cetain wayward charm to it.

Attractions: Lovely head barman, pool table, new-fangled jukebox (highly technological looking and, somewhat confusingly, stuck to a wall above a row of couches so that you have to dethrone people with a well-aimed kick when trying to use it), quiz machine, central location.

Unattractions: Chairs that are liable to collapse whilst you are seated in them, couches covered in a synthetic fabric that smells a bit like feet and, where torn, exposes a hybrid child of cardboard and cotton wool stuffing, that looks like giant globules of hardened snot.

Specialty: The Fire Engine: four shots of vodka, lemonade, blackcurrant cordial, pint glass, £2.

Range of snacks: Quite a variety. They’ve got the classic Thai Sweet Chilli Sensations, which are always a winner (one chap ate them at such speed that he choked on one and a sliver of crisp actually ended up in my eye. This will not affect Catz bar’s rankings, but is merely an aside to campaign for eating at leisure). Also available are pork scratchings, other flavours of Walkers, something that included prawn in the title (enough to keep me away, admittedly), those crisps that look like little rashers of bacon, Haribo.

Liveliness: Weekdays are quiet (excepting Wednesdays for obvious reasons), but weekends, particularly if there’s been a swap, are acceptably lively.

Rules: It’s not quite the Mahal, but having watched various members of Hellcatz chunder into buckets in the bar last year, it’s pretty much anything goes.

Tab Says: Rough around the edges but give it a go (just remind yourself that not every college has recently acquired a millennium dome).

Facebook Twitter
  • jimjim

don’t you have a grammar editor? it’s “its” not “it’s”!

• Rose

jimjim is a loser, jimjim is a loser wa lay la lay – ay! wa lay lay lay – ay!

• Rose

ok, if you let me post anything, please just let me say that i think jimjim is mean. and unnecessary. and most probably sexually frustrated. he can get his apostrophes in the right place but when it comes to getting THAT thing in THAT place it's all wardrobes and cobwebs.

• Rose

either way, i just want to say, phoebe luckhurst is a god! fuck apostrophes, she's got TIM!

• Rose

jimjim, right, tell me your name and your college and I definitely WON'T come round there with a massive hacksaw in the shape of an apostrophe and cut your laptop in half so IT can't make any more stupid comments with ITS keyboard irritate me very, very much. Hmph

• Rose

jimjim, go take your apostrophe cock, and shove it up your own smelly semi colon.

• Rose

jimjim, if you're gonna get grammatical on this shit, maybe you should sort out your own stupid name (and face – just because i can sense your face is even worse than your name) first, IT'S stupid to put another jim after jim when you've just put jim there. AND it's not cool. Not even cute. In fact, it makes me want to retch, slightly.

• dr k

maybe he thinks it's "it's not got a wii…" which i think is right. right?

• Pingback: THE TAB – – All the latest Cambridge University news online » Blog Archive » College Bar Crawl: Clare Cellars()

• Pingback: coach outlet online()

• Pingback: ray ban sunglasses()

• Rose

fuck off jimjim, you stupid arse

• Rose

Who even cares what jimjim has to say anyway? gayface

• Guest

i cant find where jimjim thinks the mistake is anyway! Rules: it's not quite the mahal? because that is actually the right form of its/it's. Idiot.

Heard something on campus?

By on

The beginning of the end for the NHS?

The NHS is terminally ill. Jeremy Hunt’s latest plans to stretch junior doctors to their mortal limits could send Britain’s national treasure six feet under.

By , Tab reporter on

Working at the Freshers’ Fair is Awful

We suffer for your freebies.

By , Senior Tab reporter on

An interview with The Footlights

The Tab sits down with tour show director Ken Cheng and performers Adrian Gray, Archie Henderson and Eleanor Colville to talk about freshers, being funny and their new show.

By , Chief Reporter on

One of The Apprentice contestants is a grad set to take the show by storm

She claims to have got the highest mark on her Business Studies course

By , Former Editor, The Tab London on

London Public school boys should feel guilty about a lot of things but listening to dubstep isn’t one of them

It’s time to welcome the Skepta-loving rich list in from the cold

By , Chief Reporter on

Twin model crashed car after drink driving at 10 in the morning

Both twins were previously handed ASBOs because of their wild parties

By , Chief Reporter on

Private school makes you a boring clone of your mum and dad

Going to the same Russell Group unis to do the same subjects makes you a robot, apparently

By on

Milo Yiannopoulos: It’s absurd that I was banned from speaking at Manchester SU

You guys, I feel very oppressed right now

By , Assistant Editor on

It’s time someone said it: Medics are the worst people at uni

‘You wouldn’t understand, you’re not one of us’