Hey! Council! Leaves Those Balls Alone!

Cambridge City council has yet again provided the thorn in Cambridge University’s backside.

After shutting down Jesus College May Ball early due to noise restrictions, Cambridge City Council placed heavy restrictions on Magdalene May Ball. Their main act, ‘Scratch Perverts’ were only allowed to play at a volume of 80 decibels. The sound engineer told us that normally, an act would play at 200 decibels. It was not surprising therefore that there were plenty of guests begging for the volume to be turned up.

Council officers patrolled the ball in plain clothes, taking regular measurements of the sound, and threatening to hand out heavy fines if the limits were exceeded.

Nonetheless, the acts provided at Magdalene May Ball were a great success and the dance floor was well attended. It is just a shame that this year the Council chose to take a negative stance on the end of term celebrations. It has been suggested that jealousy is the cause of this poor attitude. 

• Anon (committee member)

80dB is the limit for all May Balls (infact any event in the UK) after 11pm that takes place outside. The council do police these event, and the Magdalene Committee had to abide by the rules to ensure that they were not shut down like other Balls.

Also, it is a member of college staff, not the council, that take the measurements. The council counter-check them at regular intervals.

x

• Deafened

Jealous of what?!? Suggested by whom?

Heard something newsworthy?

Week Five Blues are getting out of hand

Who knew an analogy for tough times could be so invalidating?

Let’s talk about cancer.

Cancer is real, and it’s time to stop victimising those affected.

A donor has been found for Lara, sister of a Cambridge undergraduate

Lara says in the video, “Very excited to tell you some great news.”

, Contributing Editor

How what you watch on Netflix affects your sex life

The science of Netflix and Chill

, Contributing Editor

Just what is ‘dabbing’ and why do footballers keep doing it?

Look at my dab

North London is the best

Stop saying it’s frumpy

, Chief Reporter

Football teams are now signing people who are really good at Fifa

Can you do it on a cold night in Stoke though?

, Chief Reporter

George Galloway: ‘I don’t regret pretending to be a cat on Celebrity Big Brother’

This man wants you to vote for him to be Mayor of London

, Chief Reporter

The king is dead: Spencer Matthews has quit Made in Chelsea

Spenny has followed Caggie into the sunset