Hey! Council! Leaves Those Balls Alone!

Cambridge City council has yet again provided the thorn in Cambridge University’s backside.

After shutting down Jesus College May Ball early due to noise restrictions, Cambridge City Council placed heavy restrictions on Magdalene May Ball. Their main act, ‘Scratch Perverts’ were only allowed to play at a volume of 80 decibels. The sound engineer told us that normally, an act would play at 200 decibels. It was not surprising therefore that there were plenty of guests begging for the volume to be turned up.

Council officers patrolled the ball in plain clothes, taking regular measurements of the sound, and threatening to hand out heavy fines if the limits were exceeded.

Nonetheless, the acts provided at Magdalene May Ball were a great success and the dance floor was well attended. It is just a shame that this year the Council chose to take a negative stance on the end of term celebrations. It has been suggested that jealousy is the cause of this poor attitude. 

• Anon (committee member)

80dB is the limit for all May Balls (infact any event in the UK) after 11pm that takes place outside. The council do police these event, and the Magdalene Committee had to abide by the rules to ensure that they were not shut down like other Balls.

Also, it is a member of college staff, not the council, that take the measurements. The council counter-check them at regular intervals.

x

• Deafened

Jealous of what?!? Suggested by whom?

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

The Phases of an All-Nighter

Summary: Work work work work work

The NUS is a route to a better future, not the root of all evil – VOTE NO

I need the NUS to support me and all the other minorities this privileged university bubble contains

Scores on the Doors – Cambridge tops League Table

Cambridge cashes in with dizzying Guardian league table scores

, Argument Editor

Predicting Jose Mourinho’s first season in charge of Man Utd

12 months with The Special One

, National Editor

Are these the most pointless Uber journeys ever?

Mate it’s just down the road

How much of a commitment-phobe are you?

If you like it, please don’t put a ring on it

, Assistant Editor

What living with a bi-polar parent taught me about mental illness

Just because you can’t see it doesn’t mean it’s fake

, Scottish Correspondent of The Tab

Uni life at Cambridge made me nearly kill myself, calling dad stopped me

Suicide is the biggest killer of men under thirty in the UK