Breaking: Woman found dead on Magdalen Road after ‘chemical incident’

The woman was believed to be in her 20s

A woman believed to be in her 20s was found dead this morning in her home on Magdalen Road.

Authorities have said that they were dealing with a ‘fear for welfare’ incident, closing off Magdalen Road from Iffley Road to Catherine Street.

The woman’s next of kin have been informed and her death is being described as unexplained but not suspicious.

The incident happened at around 8am this morning and some residents were evacuated from their homes. One resident was evacuated from his flat at 8:46am and asked if he had smelt anything in the building.

Thames Valley Police Spokeswoman, Lucy Billen, stated: “Police are dealing with a fear for welfare incident in Magdalen Road.

“Members of the emergency services are wearing chemical suits as a precautionary measure as it is believed the person may have access to chemicals.”

Owners of local businesses arrived to find the street covered with crowds of police, firefighters, and paramedics.

Resident Susan Thomas, 48, was ordered back inside by police when she attempted to find out what was happening.

Other residents have been allowed to leave their houses, but not allowed back through the cordon.

One resident on Catherine Street stated that she was woken up by sirens blazing, adding: “It was scary, this sort of thing doesn’t happen here.

“It just kept getting louder and more and more police coming. I hope whoever it is is alright.”

Local business owner Stuart Silvester, 50, of Silvester Stores mentioned: “I have been here thirty years and never seen such a large police presence.”

Investigations are expected to continue throughout the day.

Updates to follow.