Pink Ribbon charity event raises £700 for breast cancer

An alternative to your night out at Fuzzies

The Pink Ribbon session held at Jericho Tavern brought together Brookes’ best musical talent for an evening of acoustic entertainment to raise awareness for breast cancer.

Hosted by Joshua Small, the evening raised an impressive £700 for The Pink Ribbon Foundation as students took to the stage one by one to perform their songs.

The atmosphere was lively as the audience clapped and sang along. The night ended with the crowd chanting for an encore until four of the performers got back on stage and did, what could only be described as, an “insane” freestyle sing/rap battle that left the audience wanting more.

Max Seabold, Business and Management, first year

Performed: StayRihanna and Mikky Ekko, Electric feel – MGMT, Little things – One Direction

“I’m taking part in this charity event because it’s for a good cause. It’s all good fun and I enjoy performing. When the opportunity arises I perform. I think it was a nice chilled way to start the show and got people in the mood. I really enjoyed it.”

We enjoyed you too Max.

Poppy Gunnerud, Philosophy and Music, third year

Performed: Love yourself – Justin Bieber, Stronger than me – Amy Winehouse, If I ain’t got you – Alicia keys

“This event is a great way to raise awareness and money for breast cancer. I also love performing so I do it as much as I can. My performance went alright. I really enjoyed it; everyone was really positive and encouraging.”

Just “alright”?! A modest comment from Poppy – the audience think your voice is incredible.

Charlie Hughes, Geography and International Relations, third year

Performed: Empire Fall – Charlie Hughes, Walk out Honey – Charlie Hughes, White Feather – Charlie Hughes, Ordinary Kid – Charlie Hughes, Fly – Charlie Hughes

“I write my own music so this is a good way to get out there and this event is not your average night out either; it’s different to all the rest. On stage it was hot and sweaty – but good fun.”

Charlie’s songs were a hit with the crowd.

Conar Hicke, Business and Management, third year

Performed: Wagon wheel – Old Crow Medicine Show, Somewhere over the Rainbow – Iz, Brightside – The Killers, History – ID

“I’m good friends with Josh and I’ve helped with charity events like this with him before. It’s just nice for everyone to enjoy a different night out away from clubbing. I had a blast performing and it went well. Thank you to everyone who came along, I hope you all enjoyed it.”

Conar, we loved it!

Andre Devante, Business management with publishing media, second year

(Accompanied by Charlie Hughes and Tom Miles)

Performed: Breakdown – Andre Devante, Sorry – Justin Bieber (freestyle cover), Rockstar – Nickleback

“I love music and aspire to be like Jay-Z. When I was 14 I lost my older cousin to cancer and so I’m performing to raise money for the charity – it’s a good cause. I’ve not done anything like this before. When I was on stage my heart was racing but it was the best moment I’ve had in a long time.”

Andre had the whole crowd singing along and it was no surprise with Justin Bieber in the song choice.