Third year Bristol student found dead

The university are encouraging those who need help to come forward

A third year French and Italian student was found dead at her home last week after taking her own life.

She was halfway through a year abroad as part of her French and Italian degree.

If you are experiencing mental health problems and wish to get help, a list of all the Bristol services open to students can be found here.

Samaritans have an invaluable helpline that is open 24/7. Their website can be found here.

If you are experiencing any kind of mental health issue which you believe is causing you dangerous levels of stress – please, do not suffer alone. The help is ready and available for those who require it.

The university have released a statement:

“We were very saddened to hear that one of our third year students sadly died near her home last week. We understand from her family that she took her own life, although it will be for the coroner to determine the cause of death. She was halfway through a year abroad as part of her French and Italian degree. The University offers its condolences to her family and friends and our thoughts are with them at this very sad time.”

“The welfare of our students and staff continues to be our highest priority and it is distressing for all members of the University community that one of our students has died. We would urge any students affected by this tragic incident to seek support from University services, friends or family.”
In the context of increasing national concerns about student mental health we have been working with our staff and students to review how best to support all students’ including those with enduring mental health difficulties. We have increased staffing levels in our support services and have committed to invest an additional £1 million per year to provide wellbeing support for students in each academic school. We will also be signing the Time to Change pledge to help reduce the stigma of discussing mental health issues.”