Student daredevils attempt record breaking journey on Scotland’s fastest river

Just two guys in a boat, getting the job done.

While most Bristol students have spent summer lounging around in the sunshine and drinking their hometown friends under the table, a 4th year medic and his Edinburgh companion are doing something a bit different.

James Reilly, a future junior doctor, and his best friend Ted Simpson are attempting the fastest descent of the River Spey in Scotland.

The previous record of 13 hours down one of Scotland’s most dangerous rivers will be a mammoth task to beat. However, the two students are not newbies to the adventure game.

Last year they successfully broke the record for the fastest crossing of Loch Ness in 4 hours and 43 minutes which received mass media attention.

Vast reserves of physical and mental endurance will be key if they’re to succeed in their efforts again on the 24th of August.

The adventurers have put their bodies through 6 whole months of four hour gym sessions and extreme exercise routines to ready themselves for the significantly longer ordeal.

Apart from pure stamina and paddling power, the pair will have to face the Spey’s dangerous rapids 10 hours into their journey which will provide one of the day’s most challenging aspects.

When it comes to motivation on the water, the pair are famed for their love of Disney songs and claim that “I’ll Make A Man Out Of You” from Mulan is one of their passionate favourites.

You can donate to James and Ted’s valiant sponsored adventure for the Cystic Fibrosis Trust here.