eBay seller criticised for selling ‘Find DJ Derek’ t-shirts at £10 each

Anything for a quick buck

Outraged family members of DJ Derek have accused an eBay seller of ‘cashing in’ on his disappearance by selling t-shirts printed with the missing poster.

Derek Serpell-Morris, who is well known in Bristol and has played sets at Glastonbury, was reported missing on July 23 while his last credible sighting was on CCTV at Yate bus station on July 17.

A nationwide search backed by celebrities including Dizzee Rascal has so far failed, but it now seems one crude eBay user is trying to make some quick cash off the back of Derek’s disappearance.

While the search for Derek was ongoing, money was raised to make t-shirts with Derek’s missing poster printed on it before handing them out to well-wishers.

However, it has come to the attention of Derek’s family that eBay user “steptoeonsteroids” is reselling “Find DJ Derek” t-shirts for £10 plus £4 delivery.

According to the Bristol Post, the account is under the name Ian Roberts from Cardiff while the delivery address is also located near Cardiff city centre.

The t-shirts no longer appear to be available.

Derek’s great-niece, Jennifer Griffiths told the Bristol Post: “I’m absolutely fuming. We’re disgusted by this. This person is making a profit from Derek’s disappearance. It’s just a quick buck.

“Who would sink so low? We don’t even know where he is yet. If Derek was found, and someone wanted to do this in his memory, then maybe, yes.

“But he’s still missing, and we think it is very irresponsible, and frankly, disgusting that they are doing something like this.

“I know Derek was quite popular in Cardiff. He played many gigs there, but this is not about raising money for the fund or raising awareness. This seems more about profit”.

Anybody who has any information on Derek’s whereabouts should contact Avon and Somerset Police immediately on 101 quoting reference number MP3388/15.