77 young people have been sexually assaulted in Bristol this year

That’s 77 too many

77 people aged 18-24 have been sexually assaulted in Bristol so far this year.

This number is a decrease from last year, when 95 young people were victims of sexual assaults in Bristol.

However the University of Bristol’s Women’s Officer, Chloë Maughan says things aren’t as straight-forward. She told The Tab: “The statistics are likely to be considerably lower than the amount of assaults which have actually occurred, as frequently incidents like this go unreported.”

Police have been warning students to “be vigilant” and “walk with a friend” to avoid assault, but this advice has been criticised by many as promoting victim blaming.

Freshers are frequently warned about walking across the Downs alone at night

Chloë said: “Instead of making the streets safe spaces, it simply removes women from them and therefore presents them as responsible for violence committed against them which they should never have to feel responsible for.”

The new stats come to light ahead of Reclaim the Night, an annual march being held on November 27 against rape and sexual violence.

With high profile incidents such as the “serious sexual assault” of a young woman jogging on the Downs this May still fresh in the minds of many students, these new figures are another reminder that sexual violence remains a major threat to young people’s personal safety.