Bitter UWE freshers outraged by Bristol SU flyer

Lol

Bristol Bristol freshers Bristol students bristol tab Bristol University flyer SU UBU UWE

Bristol SU is under fire from infuriated UWE students after distributing a controversial UWE-baiting flyer around halls during Freshers’ Week.

At first glance the flyer seems to be an inspirational signal motivating all demographics of Bristol under one banner, and demonstrating simply “Bristol students do it better.”

The bottom of the flyer includes of the phrase “than UWE”, turning the flyer into the ultimate bait for UWE students with inferiority complexes.

The postcard is accompanied by the hashtag #EMBRACETHERIVALRY.

The cards represent an attempt by Bristol SU to pump people up for varsity, which is never particularly well attended.

Eventually a picture of the flyer hit the UWE freshers group page, and when that happened the shit really hit the fan.

Is that a saying Luke?

The Guardian ranks Bristol’s student union at 120th in the country, whereas UWE towers over us at a mighty 63rd.

Sofia was keen to pick up on the jarring logic the union had presented:

Sources told the Tab the flyer appeared at Nelson House, where students from both Bristol and UWE share accommodation.

Nina, a first year Bristol Neuroscientist said: “I didnt see the flyers, but when you showed me the picture it made me feel as if i was indirectly classed as a mean girl.

“Living with people from UWE is fine. They are pretty much the same, you can’t tell the difference until they say they go to UWE.”

UWE students definitely saw what Nina didn’t:

One of them also took time out of their day to make this:

The Tab contacted the student union to ask them why the flyer was produced and Sarah Redrup, Bristol SU’s Student Living Officer said:

“The SU developed a series of light-hearted postcards to distribute to new students entering halls. One of these was designed to highlight the varsity rivalry.

“The University drew to our attention that this was distributed to a shared hall with UWE students and it was thought best to remove this in this instance to avoid any ill-feeling amongst residents.”