UK’s most promising choir girl will be studying at Bristol

Future BNOC alert

Weeks after performing on the BBC’s Songs of Praise, Amelia Craddock has secured her place at Bristol to study French and Italian.

The 18-year-old, a student at Brighton College, started singing as a chorister in the prestigious Arundel Cathedral choir three years ago while simultaneously undertaking studies for her GCSEs and A levels.

Amelia, who also sung a soprano solo live on BBC1 for Arundel’s Christmas Eve midnight mass, earned two As in French and Latin and one B in drama and theatre studies.

This is where Amelia sings

But despite the intense build-up to exams, Amelia continued to commit to her responsibilities at the cathedral regularly attending Sunday practices.

She told The Daily Telegraph: “It was certainly challenging, but sometimes it was quite a nice break from everything that I had going on.

“I knew all the people at the cathedral, so it was good to see all those friendly faces. We rehearse together and sing together so you get to know people quite well.”

Photo: Christopher Pledger.

Alongside this, Amelia has even found time to sing for the Millennium Youth choir where she is member.

But once the exam season was in full swing Amelia admitted that she couldn’t keep attending rehearsals.

Amelia said: “When the exam period picked up I tried to do as many Sundays as possible but it got hard with revision and exam leave.

“When it really got going and I started having exams every week I had to stop, which was a shame, but I had to prioritise at the same time.”

Amelia’s sacrifices have paid off and she’ll be joining one of the UK’s top Russell Group universities –but only after spending a year out, during which she intends to travel and set up her own all girls’ choir.

As for her future, Amelia confessed: “I have idea what I’ll be doing. I’ll just see where it takes me. I’ve thought about teaching, translating, doing a Master’s, but nothing it set in stone – I’ll see where the wind takes me!”

One thing is certain for sure though. “I’ll definitely be looking to join the choir at Bristol,” said Amelia. “It’s such a great hobby to have and even if doesn’t become my career I want to keep going with it!”