19 Days ‘Til Xmas!

Fashion writer Nathan figures out what to wear to the Christmas party

I should probably start with something more imaginative than the cliched “It’s that time of year again.”

However, I have an essay deadline looming, I’m recovering from a stomach bug which helped me lose a stone and a long session of churning out blog entries has exhausted any creative reserves I had left. With that in mind…

It’s that time of year again.

A lifelong dedication to cynicism should ensure I’m a festive ‘Scrooge’ in the most Dickensian sense of the word, but I can’t help feel a childish sense of nostalgia at this time of year.

Christmas lights turn every street into a miniature kitsch Blackpool and garish but charming Christmas jumpers flood the frosty window displays of the high-street.

However, Christmas also brings the disadvantage of meaning I have to socialize with people (always a trying endeavour) on an unhealthily regular basis, and with an irritatingly seasonal spin.

I am referring, of course, to the dreaded Christmas Party. This week I was invited to my first of the season. As it happened, the aforementioned stomach bug meant I could not attend.

However, that didn’t stop me planning an outfit in the (somewhat unlikely) event that another such invitation should come my way.

The Christmas Jumper

No Christmas outfit would be complete without the iconic/ironic Christmas Jumper, but even an item this silly should be subject to a style critique. I picked my one last week from Topman (I’m ashamed to say), but what it lacks in quality it makes up for with character and a warm burgundy colour.

Just to smarten things up, I layered it over a light blue, button-down Oxford shirt from Gap. If you’re feeling extra quirky, you could also add a knitted tie in burgundy or grey, or a tweed tie in flecked brown for a healthy dose of prep.

Layering Pieces

If you’re heading to a club, piling on the layers probably isn’t the most practical of routes to take but for the plans I had in mind (namely a pub crawl), I thought the layering look was perfect for that extra wintery touch. I personally went for traditional fall fabrics, adding a tweed jacket and lambswool tartan scarf.

The Socks

So far, so festive, but I was keen to add a bit of character to a rather traditional look. So I picked up these brilliant Christmas tree print socks from Topman, paired them with some tan desert boots and gave my indigo skinny jeans a couple of turn ups.

@imcraigoc
Get the best of The Tab on our app.

, Bristol News Editor of The Tab

Police are hunting for this man after a woman was raped in Clifton

Can you help the police identify this man?

SU officers launch online petition against rising cost of uni accommodation

University accommodation rent is set to increase 5% in next academic year

, Bristol Features Editor of The Tab

We spoke to the Pharmacology lecturer who also DJs at Lakota, Timbuk2 and Motion

He takes a mobile fly and bee lab to festivals

, Bristol Editor of The Tab

Capitalism is dying – and we’re all becoming socialists

51 per cent of millennials ‘do not support’ it

QUIZ: How vain are you?

Bet you think this quiz is about you

, Editor of The Tab London

Staggering results show three-quarters of students want to leave the NUS

According to a Tab poll of 6,500 people

, National Editor

There’s going to be an investigation into sexist advertising

Reaction to the Protein World ads highlighted a need for change

,        

We’ve found the best alternatives to Naked palettes

Who wants to pay £38.50 for eyeshadow?

and

What trainers should you be wearing?

Take our quiz to find out