The BU Vice-Chancellor has taken a 20 per cent pay rise to £305,000

Treat yo self

Professor John Vinney has earned £305,000 worth of pay and benefits according to a report by the University and College Union (UCU).

This pay rise is the third highest of any individual working at a UK university.

The professor earns 6.7 times the average salary at BU, which has four other staff paid more than £100,000.

The report also says that the uni spent £5,627 on air fares for the vice-chancellor. Although none of these were first class or business class. There was another £1,224 on hotels and £1,127 on personal expenses.

Stuart Bartholomew who is the vice-chancellor of AUB received a four per cent increase which makes his earnings £217,534, although this rise was made up of pension contributions. His salary is over six times higher than the AUB average.

AUB campus

Bournemouth University released a statement that said: “Professor John Vinney received a pay rise in 2016, and a non-consolidated performance related payment, both set by the university’s independent remuneration committee, to reflect his leadership of BU.

“His basic salary remains in line with the average salary when compared across the sector.”

A statement from AUB said: “The salaries of all senior staff are determined by the senior staff remuneration committee of the board of governors – made up entirely of independent members of the board – who follow the Committee of University Chairs procedures in determining salaries and with regard to comparability data particularly that available from UCEA (Universities and Colleges Employers Association). We should also note that the rise in the total emolument reflects a change to the employer’s pension contribution, and not a salary increase.”