How to get help at Bournemouth if you’re struggling

There are plenty of mental health service options for students at BU

University is a really stressful time, and finding somewhere to go for some help can be hard. Bournemouth fortunately has quite a few places to turn. So we’ve made a list of all the essential services you might need, all of which are easy to contact and can help when you need it.

BU’s Medical Centre

Normally the first port of call for most students, the medical centre located in Talbot House is open every weekday, and will give you the guidance you need to help you find the next stage of support.

You can find the medical centre’s website here.

BU Student Wellbeing

Offering counselling, workshops and drop in support, the student wellbeing centre is based on the top floor of Talbot House. Whatever you say here will be kept 100% confidential, and more intensive support is on hand if you need it.

You can find their website here.

SUBU Mental Health Zone

Newly launched by the student union, the mental health zone is made up of students to promote positive well being for students whilst they study. They hope to improve student experience and challenge stigmas through campaigns, events and peer support.

Find their Facebook page here.

St Ann’s Hospital

“The aim of all staff is to stabilise their health needs and return back to their own home where they will be supported by the Crisis Team and / or their Community Mental Health Team in their own familiar surroundings.”

You can find their website here.

Steps 2 Wellbeing

Giving support for anxiety, depression and other common mental health problems, this service can provide cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) along with other help.

You can find their website here.

Contact: 0300 7900 542

Dorset Mind

“We work across Dorset, offering support to anyone in the county and facing a mental health problem, or caring for those who are.”

You can find their website here.

StreetScene

Specialising in rehab treatment centres for eating disorders, drug addiction and alcohol dependency, it’s next to Bournemouth beach and is a tranquil rehabilitation setting.

You can find their website here.

Dorset Health Team

Their website provides a long list of their services. Here’s some of their key ones.

Assertive Outreach Services

“To help people with severe mental illness, specifically those whose needs are more complex and require additional support.”

Contact details:

01202 584412

[email protected]

Community Mental Health Teams

“To support people at home and prevent unnecessary admissions into hospital.”

The service provided by the CMHTs will focus on Service Users with a significant mental disorder for Service Users aged 18 and over and include individuals with:

• Schizophrenia and psychotic disorders and delusional disorders
  • Affective disorders such as mania, manic depression and moderate / severe depression
  • Eating disorders
  • Organic Mental Disorder
  • Significant mental health problems following childbirth
  • Personality disorder

Contact details:

01202 584440

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaEXcD1hp4b/?hl=en&tagged=mentalhealth

Crisis Team

Available 24 hours a day and always on call, the crisis team will always be ready to respond and help with your situation.

Contact details:

East Dorset: 01202 609821

West Dorset: 01305 361269

Early Intervention in Psychosis Service (EIPS)

“Community service comprising mental health practitioners, providing mainly home based service for those young people either experiencing or at risk of experiencing a first episode of psychosis.”

Contact details:

01305 214500

[email protected]

Eating Disorders Service

On the same site as St Ann’s, Kimmeridge Court offers inpatient services for a range of eating disorders.

Contact details:

01202 492147