Brits Abroad, be Travel Aware

Top ways to stay safe when travelling abroad

Hide Images

There are 101 reasons why travel, work and study abroad – especially while we’re young and have the time, money, and opportunity – is essential. 99% of the time everything goes smoothly, perhaps apart from the odd KO in a bar in Phuket. However, there are times when we may find ourselves in danger or crisis abroad, as last week’s tragic death of British study abroad student, Hannah Bladon, reminds us.

We should commend the likes of Hannah for leaving their comfort zones to see the world, and tragic occurrences like hers should not stop us travelling. But we should also recognise changing security environments and take steps to be ‘travel aware’ abroad. Fortunately, there is a ton of quick and easy advice available from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office! Here are a few tips…

Be Prepared…

Before you travel check out the Travel Aware page, which includes a super helpful foreign travel checklist, and detailed travel advice for over 225 countries – do your homework!

Download the Support for British Nationals Guide and take it with you. If you’re in trouble abroad it’ll tell you exactly what to do and where to get help.

Take out travel insurance to make sure you and your rights are protected. Make sure that your insurance covers all the activities you have planned – not all of them do!

You can also read up on advice on how to reduce the risk from terrorism abroad.

Stay Informed…

You can subscribe to FCO travel advice email alerts for the country you’re travelling to.

Follow @FCOtravel on Twitter and Facebook for updates.

Make sure you know the contact details for the British embassy and consulates near you.

What to do in the event of a crisis…

First of all, stay calm, and make contact with family and friends.

Refer to FCO travel advice and updates for the country you’re in.

Follow the advice of local authorities unless the travel advice says otherwise

If you feel under threat, make plans to leave the country. If you need consular assistance you can call the FCO on (+44) (0)207 008 1500.

Finally, of course, make sure to have fun! Travel is one of the most enriching experiences out there and is usually safe, especially if you follow these quick and easy precautions.