ValeFest 2017 ticket release

Don’t miss out

basic needs birmingham brum child pverty action group macmillan cancer research malaria foundation RSVP student charity tara goatley the tab the tab birmingham treckstock university of birmingham UoB valefest

For those of you who don’t know, ValeFest is a charity festival which is run every year post exam period at the Vale Village, UOB’s student accommodation. It is Europe’s largest student run charity festival, with a dedicated student committee organising and running every detail.

Over the years, ValeFest has supported charities such as MacMillan Cancer, Treckstock, and Child Poverty Action Group. Last year’s festival alone saw a staggering £35,000 raised for The Against Malaria Foundation and the local Birmingham Children’s Hospital. This year’s charities of choice have been revealed as RSVP and BasicNeeds.

Tara Goatley, the chair of the ValeFest committee this year explained, “As a student group, we feel there is a lot we can do to help both the local community, and the global community“.

RSVP is a local charity called the Rape and Sexual Violence Project. The charity provides support to anyone across the Birmingham and Solihull area who has been affected by sexual violence and abuse. They offer counselling, social groups, and even legal advice.

BasicNeeds sees the ValeFest committee join in the fight against mental health stigma, a fight which is increasingly growing in momentum and size. This charity is dedicated to improving the lives of people suffering from mental illnesses and epilepsy. It focuses on sufferers in low and middle income countries and has helped over 686,000 people all over the world since it’s foundation in 2000. Not only do they offer support and treatment to those affected by mental health problems, they are also leading the way in research.

Adrian Sell, CEO of the charity, praised the ValeFest team for getting involved, explaining the importance of events and organisations getting involved with the fight against mental health stigma.

We are extremely grateful to the students and the committee of ValeFest for choosing to support BasicNeeds as part of their charity musical festival.

“By choosing to support mental health causes this year, ValeFest is helping reduce the stigma surrounding mental illness. Funds received through the festival will enable us to provide for those who need our support the most in some of the poorest communities in the world.

“Since it is a community event, we hope to see as many people attend the festival as possible. Wishing the ValeFest committee all the very best for the event and thank you very much once again for supporting BasicNeeds’ work.

So get the 3rd June marked in your diaries and make sure you’re at your computers today  (18th March) ready for the ticket release at 12pm. Tickets were completely sold out last year and you really don’t want to miss out.

More information is available via the official Facebook event page (https://www.facebook.com/events/1267867459965065/) and you can buy tickets from 12pm on Saturday 18th March via the link below (£7 for UOB halls residents and £12 general sale):

https://www.guildofstudents.com/events/7491/2260/

To get you in the spirit, here are the highlights of ValeFest 2016: