Local jailed after raping girl by canal

The attack happened in March

birmingham canal curzon street matthew whitmore rape student

A thug has been locked up for four years after raping a student on her way home.

Matthew Whitmore attacked the girl as she was walking back from a night out along a canal towpath.

The assault, which happened around 5am on March 13, took place after Whitmore spotted the 19-year-old victim as he made his way to Land Rover, where he worked as a cleaner.

Whimore has been jailed for four years

Whitmore, 25, then struck up a conversation with the intoxicated victim, before he grabbed her and dragged her out of view along Curzon Street.

The brave victim immediately went to police where she was examined by a doctor and an investigation was launched.

Whitmore, from Small Heath, Birmingham, was arrested at work two weeks later after CCTV and DNA evidence linked him to the crime.

He was jailed at Birmingham Crown Court on Monday after pleading guilty to one count of rape at an earlier hearing.

After the case Detective Constable Lisa Monahan, from West Midlands Police, said: “The young lady was deeply distressed by what had happened to her, but she was brave enough to call police and be examined by a doctor.

“I hope the sentence will help this young woman come to terms with what happened to her and serve as a reminder if a woman says no or is incapable of consenting, either through drink or drugs, it is a criminal offence.

“Rape is rape and there are no excuses or any grey area.”