Hardly anyone at Queen’s has been to a consent class

Only eight per cent of students asked attended

According to a previous article published by The Tab a staggering 87 per cent of students have reported to have been groped in a nightclub. Yet only eight per cent of students at QUB say they’ve been to a consent class.

One percent of the 473 students said that they actually walked out of the class. The reactions to consent classes across the UK have been mixed to say the least.  And 49 per cent at Queens saying that they felt the consent classes were ‘patronising’.

After writing an article on why he didn’t need consent classes for the Tab Warwick, student George Lawler found his post gaining over 100,000 views. In response he said “what really winds me up – the fact that the students running these consent workshops think they know better than their peers. I was derided and called a ‘self-appointed expert on consent’ for asserting that I don’t need their help on the matter. They obviously didn’t get the irony.”

On the other hand many people have completely antithetical opinions. Writing for Babe, Diyora Shadijanova said: “I don’t care if you find them patronising, your opposition isn’t stopping students getting harassed and raped.”

We asked a 3rd year student who asked to remain anonymous what he thought about consent classes. He said: “I mean, do they really help? Has a consent class ever actually stopped a rape? I think it would be better to focus on mental health as I think thats where these assaults often stem from.”

It seems no matter the attendance, consent classes will always be a divisive sore point amongst students.