Meet the man behind the Belfast Girls page

Michelle is the Belfast equivalent of Vicky Pollard

Michael Mul is your average lad in his twenties from West Belfast, but his Facebook videos have shot him to local celebrity status.

The popular Belfast Girls Facebook page is sitting on nearly 17,000 likes. An idea, which Michael says is just “based on a bit of everyone, really.” The funny videos call girls out on everything between pre-drinks and makeup to pulling on nights out and chilling in Thompson’s. Michael doesn’t understand why the videos are so popular, but knows that they are relatable, and “most people see themselves in them.”

The man behind the videos

Michael started making YouTube videos in September of 2015 as a hobby, and began putting his skits on Facebook. One of his earlier videos, Belfast Girls Night Out, caught the eye of over 40,000 people, which drove Michael to create more videos. He claims to draw inspiration from the likes of Vicky Pollard and Catherine Tate’s ‘Lauren’, and told The Tab that he would “absolutely love if Michelle could ever be a Belfast version of Vicky Pollard or Lauren.”

She’s definitely got the feisty attitude part down

“Everything Michelle says is something that I have heard come from mine or my friends’ mouths and in the likes of Thompson’s smoking area and generally being out and about and catching people’s conversations,” he explained.

The viral videos have been noted for their particular tongue-in-cheek approach to Belfast attitude and slang, which most Belfast viewers find balances the mockery with the comedy. Michael particularly enjoyed working with Ciara Daly for one of his more popular videos, and enthuses that “everyone has been so lovely. It’s great to get the Belfast Girls out and about”.

No but here, Gaz is in El Divino tonight…

Michael hopes to work in the entertainment industry, and to continue working with the Belfast Girls, aiming to make these videos bigger. “To bring Michelle to the small screen would be a dream come true.”