Belfast’s best takeaway: Have your say

What’s your favourite post night out takeaway?

There comes a stage in every student’s life when they realise that the nightclub they go to doesn’t matter, it’s all the same music, the same crowd, doing the same stuff. What does matter about your night out? Where you go after of course, and what you’re going to eat.

Now Botanic Avenue is the main thoroughfare for the inebriated student coming home from the likes of Fly or Limelight. On the way though they’ll be met by the enchanting smells and neon lights of Belfast’s golden mile. But where does one eat? It’s a question that can ruin friendships, or bound two people together forever (well of they’re drunk anyway).

What’s your favourite Belfast? We want to know, just click the aul poll at the bottom of the article. If you’re unsure here’s our take on some of the regular takeaways students tend to love. Maybe you can take something away from it (I’m so sorry).

Pizza Co.

Night out carnage

It’s the poor man’s Domino’s really. And that’s ok, we love it- and Domino’s is too dear 6 days out of 7 anyway. There’s nothing better than ordering the biggest pizza, topped with layer upon layer of meat, with a healthy side of Nutella doughballs. If you don’t eat it tonight you’ll have a mighty hangover feed for the morning. And we can’t forget the £1 pizza deal the Pizza Company does during Fresher’s. Mothers up and down the country should be sending thank you letters to Mr Pete Zah (I assume that it the name of the owner of the Pizza Company) for lining their wee pets’ stomachs.

Chip Co.

They’re so happy

The takeaway that blew my mind. The first time I had this I was walking home to elms from the student union (in the completely wrong direction but sure we were all freshers once) and came across the Chip Company. This was my first experience of the goujon meal. I spent 2 weeks scratching my head combing the Lisburn Road looking for this great chippy again. Once I found it there was a two year love affair filled with countless goujon meals, battered sausage, and as much garlic mayo as one man can humanely digest. It was love.

Herron’s Country Fried Chicken

It’s on the walk home from Fly sure

For whatever reason, out of the two chicken joints on the same street CFC is never as busy as Chip Co.; but regardless of its smaller late night clientele the place is great, full breasted chicken dished out in handy buy-one-get-one-free combos, which for a student at the end of their loan is a god send. Not only is it cheap, but the place actually does good chicken, and you get to avoid the stress of standing in Chip Co. waiting for your number to be called out. The jewel on CFC’s crown however is it’s chicken gravy, the sort of stuff dreams are made off, attacking the nostrils of everyone that walks past, siren calling them in for what will probably be the best part of their night.

Build-a-Burger

Standard

Technically this takeaway is only open during the day but it deserves a mention,  the Subway of meats, with more alternative types of fizzy juice than any hipster’s cooler bag. This takeaway offers so many different types of meat, which can be topped with everything from a conservative slice of cheese to a  gross helping of gummy bears and Nutella. It’s cheap too, and filling. This is the sort of place where you’ll never come in and taste the same thing twice. And unlike some bigger establishments in recent times, they actually tell you when you’re eating horse meat.

Gilgamesh

Brave

The behemoth of fast food outlets for any Elm’s resident on the way home from a night out. If it’s not the funky disco light that draws you in it may just be the juicy kebab meat and the house sauce. Any first year in Gilgamesh is more likely to meet their mates here than they would in Box. This is the pinnacle of kebab, and even though seven times out of ten you regret eating it every time, you will always go back. To quote the epic of the same name “The dream was marvellous but the terror was great”… Almost as great as the house sauce. Whoever runs the place needs to get that put on a sign outside. If you’re in first year and didn’t get a Gilgamesh after a night out, did you really go out?