Mandela Hall campaign: You can vote to save Mandela at next week’s council meeting

Don’t take away Shine

The QUBSU council will meet next Monday to discuss issues within the Union and you can vote to save Mandela from demolition.

The Save Mandela Hall Facebook page has created an event publicising the meeting and encouraging students to attend. The Facebook event says: “If you feel strongly about QUB’s proposal to bulldoze Mandela Hall to make way for a venue-less “Integrated Student Centre” then please attend this meeting and make your views heard to your ‘elected representatives’.”

The QUB management proposal will see the demolition of Mandela Hall

The campaign group suggested questions for the meeting. On the event they posted: “Why is Queen’s University spending £25million on a new building after announcing redundancies and massive budget cuts to courses? Why is Queen’s University threatening one Belfast’s best loved music and entertainment venues? Why did Queen’s University spend millions of pounds refurbishing the QUBSU building in 2008 and then propose to knock it all down less than ten years later?”

The QUBSU council hold a monthly public meeting to discuss and vote on issues regarding the Union. The next meeting is on February 8th at 5.30pm in The Space. A vote on Mandela Hall’s demolition will be taking place.