Take it from a Law student, we’re all up our own arses

Not letting me into Limelight is against my human rights

A Law degree isn’t exactly a walk in the park. You don’t just need to have stellar grades which started long before your university degree. You also need to dedicate a long time to your head being stuck in a mountain of books, create an awe-inspiring list of experience which is like gold dust these days and not to mention, get to know that list of well-off friends that Daddy has from the golf club.

Along with Medicine, it’s up there with one of the most competitive courses to be taking and not the easiest to get into. Lets face it, when you’re standing in a bar and someone asks what it is you’re studying,  its always well received when you state that you’re studying Law and when it’s followed nearly every time with the “oh you must be smart” line, its not a surprise that any Law student’s head will get a little bigger each time.

No reading is complete without a glass (or two) of Sauvignon Blanc

Every week is a reading week. We’re always either reading or complaining how much reading we have to do. Either way we always make it obvious how our reading list is never-ending and how we wished we had chosen an easier degree, inevitably making the person on the receiving end feeling ever so slightly belittled by their chosen degree.

No matter if you’ve just started your Law degree or you’re in final year, you probably think you can dish the advice but realistically you couldn’t even tell someone their consumer rights. There’s always one of us stood outside Limelight arguing with the bouncer saying we study Law and we know it is within our human rights to be allowed in the bar. This rejection is an infringement of these rights, and to be fair we’ll probably be let in just so we shut up.

Standing in a three-piece at Ollies VIP, just your usual night out then

Years ago it was seen as something prestigious to study Law. Most only got in as they were from a more affluent end of the country. Nowadays opportunities are more equal, meaning there’s a greater mix of us from all backgrounds. This doesn’t stop us from having a good old fashioned stuck up facade about ourselves. In fact, most of them live up to it. We attend cocktail mixers, wine and cheese nights and networking with Law firms where we brag about how much we know. How our course is so much more demanding than any other and how we are ever so commercially aware. When you see us in a three-piece with a glass of Moët it’s hard not to think we are all little full of it.

It is clear people have the universal opinion that all Law students are arrogant. They think everyone else is just a member of the proletariate amongst the lawyering bourgeoise – you do get a number of us who live up to this reputation. We taint it for everyone else.