Three Queen’s second years killed in A1 car crash

Friends have flooded social media with tributes

A1 belfast car crash qub queens queens students queens university belfast

Three university friends have lost their lives in a collision on the A1 after visiting their new home in Belfast.

Conall Havern, Peter Hughes and Gavin Sloan were killed on Sunday when they were involved in a two-car collision on the dual carriageway.

A woman also involved in the crash was taken to hospital for non-life threatening injuries.

It is believed the Queen’s boys, two aged 20 and one aged 19, were travelling home to Dromintee after visiting their new home in the university area.

Tributes to the three friends have been posted online – being described as “perfect role-models” and “a huge loss to those who knew them”.

Dromintee GAA posted their condolences on their Facebook page, saying: “Our thoughts and prayers are with the Hughes & Murphy family on the sad loss of Peter, our senior/junior player.

“All training and games have been postponed until further notice, a fine young Gael has left us, to his parents Paul and Sharon, sister Jennifer, brothers Kevin and Ryan our deepest sympathies xxx.”

Friend of the boys, Megan Fearon said: “Completely heartbroken about the death of Peter Hughes – such a genuine, kind & friendly lad.

“A true gent. Dromintee is in shock & mourning.”

Another added: “Still in shock – RIP Conall.

“I’m proud to be able to say that I knew such a nice person like yourself always happy and smiling, thoughts and prayers are with your family.”

The PSNI are appealing for anyone who was travelling on the A1 Dual Carriageway on Sunday evening who witnessed the collision to contact local Police at Banbridge or the Collision Investigation Unit on the non-emergency number 101.