The Holylands are being rejuvenated by a green alleys project

Less prostitutes, more peonies

In recent years, the news reports coming out of the Holylands haven’t tended to be positive. Typically they’ve focused on the dangerous drinking, the desperate pleas from local residents about the behaviour of students and the time that girl tried to parallel park for 45 minutes.

However, this hasn’t been the case over the past few weeks – news cameras have been flocking to the dilapidated area for a good reason.

#nofilter

Usually a prime location for those seeking a score bag, some of the alleys in the area have been transformed by a local gardening project.

Known as “Wildflower Alley”, residents have taken up paintbrushes and shovels to rejuvenate the lanes between the houses in an attempt to cut down on the anti-social behaviour associated with them.

You’ve probably had a piss here before, you monster

The project sprang up as a grassroots movement earlier this year when locals were finally able to get the alleys behind their homes gated off in an attempt to cut down on the dodgy dealings.

Bríd Ruddy, the chair of the project and a graduate of both QUB and UU, said: “We got the alleyways gated because of anti-social behaviour – apparently there was drugs, drinking and even prositution.

“We got together a group called the alleygates and asked the council if they had any schemes to help us.

“They said no so we thought we’d do it ourselves. We brought out our own paint and plants. We up-cycled and recycled, we don’t want money.

“We’ve worked our asses off.

What we’re doing is part of an international movement, it’s about taking control of your own space.”

Your alley needs to get its act together

In a turn of events familiar to any QUB residents who have rented in the area, Bríd said that the only problems they have had come from the larger landlords in the area.

“Initial and ongoing reaction – including from the small landlords – we have no problems and only positives.

“Large landlords have found a problem with the scheme, but they haven’t spoken to us. They talk to the press.

“They said in the paper that the people here are divided about the project, but we’re not.

“They think they own the area. I’m afraid they’re wrong. They see this as a business; we see it as a community.

“I would tell you what I really think but that would involve very bad language. I don’t know what they’re on about. ”

Don’t mess with Bríd

Bríd said that everyone in the project is grateful for the support of Queen’s, who have provided resources to the project.

When asked about our involvement in the project, Bríd said: “You’ve had a lot of interest and help with the initial painting but – given that most of the residents help the project at the weekends – students don’t tend to be there for a lot of the events.”

“Students have been very involved with the painting, both from QUB and UU.

“One of the issues with local students is that it’s a weekday university and most of our work happens at the weekend when the students are home.

“My husband and I lived in Fitzroy when we were in university. I think there’s a big need for students to make their term time address their home.

“I would knock on doors and students wouldn’t know people in the flat below them.

“I think students here feel a bit isolated and this project is a way to get involved with the community and fix that”

My alley is better than yours

And Bríd thinks the project could benefit some of our studies as well: “We uncovered original cobbles in an alley and we’re looking to put down a porous cover for the cobbles.

“I think this would be a great opportunity for mechanical engineering students to get practically involved with this project, while reinforcing their studies.

“We could really use student’s input. Come out to the alleyway, have a cup of tea or a glass of wine with us.”

#squadgoals

The group has also be shortlisted for a local and a national award for their efforts.

If you’re interested in getting involved, head over to the project’s group Facebook page.