Tributes pour in for Ulster grad and GAA star who died of meningitis

Aaron Devlin passed away on Thursday

Tributes have been paid to GAA player and UUJ grad Aaron Devlin, who passed away of meningitis on Thursday.

GAA clubs all over the country have released statements of support for Aaron’s family.

The 23-year-old had just finished a Master’s in Physiotherapy at Jordanstown, and played for Ballinderry Shamrock’s and Derry County.

There was also a tribute held at Croke Park, with a minute’s silence in his honour.

In a statement the Ulster grad’s family said: “Following a characteristically hard fought battle with a sudden illness, our son, brother and friend Aaron left us this afternoon. This has been an unimaginable tough and dark time for us and will continue to be.

“The actions, words, prayers, kindness and support from so many people has genuinely touched us. We may never be able to thank everyone for it but please know that it has helped us realise just what an impact he made on this world in just 23 years. We have gained so much strength and pride from it.

“We now hope that the many memories Aaron has given us will help us through the challenge that we must now face together. Thanks Aaron for for the laughs, the tears, the smiles, the strength, the pride, for everything.”

Aaron’s parents made the brave decision to donate his organs.

His funeral took place this Sunday, where he was remembered as modest and loyal.

The priest conducting the service said: “His academic accomplishments at university, his entry into post-graduate studies at Ulster University – that all speaks, not just of aptitude but of diligence, of discipline, vision, drive and flare.”