Mature student allegedly sets his flat on fire after failing part of his degree

‘It was a cry for help’

A Belfast student has been charged with arson, endangering life and criminal damage for apprently starting a fire when he heard he’d failed part of his degree.

36-year-old James Grattan, who studies Psychology and Counselling, appeared in the High Court accused of starting the fire at Hopefield Avenue in North Belfast on the 11th of July.

Along with the news he’d failed one of his course modules, Grattan was also dealing with the breakdown of a long term relationship and family bereavements when he started the blaze.

James Grattan. Credit: James Grattan

He had been out drinking when he returned and allegedly started trashing his apartment before starting the fire.

Police and fire crews were called to the scene and managed to evacuate people from the building.

The mature student was arrested when he informed a neighbour a fire had started, and told the police: “I’m the one you’re looking for”.

He insisted he never meant to hurt anyone and told officers: “I warned them I was going to torch the place.”

Hopefield Avenue. Credit: Google

Grattan’s defence lawyer told the court the act was a “cry for help” and added: “He expressed genuine remorse and was glad no one was hurt.

“He also failed a module in a degree course he’s currently undertaking and the combination of things, police would accept, had put him into a very bad place in his personal life.”

Grattan was granted bail to live with his mother in Newry but must be electronically monitored, abide by a curfew and avoid alcohol.