Our Vice-Chancellor is training to compete in the gruelling Iron Man race

He’s raising money for the Student hardship fund

Aber’s acting Vice-Chancellor Professor John Grattan is taking part in the Iron Man challenge in Pembrokeshire.

He is competing later this year raising money for  the Aberystwyth University Student Hardship Fund and student wellbeing. What a babe.

The gruelling triathlon is a series of long-distance races consisting of a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bicycle ride and 26.2 mil marathon run all of which must be completed in under 17 hours.

Professor John Grattan, Acting Vice-Chancellor of Aberystwyth University

To prepare for this mighty task, John is working in collaboration with the University Sports Centre and Sports Scientists in IBERS, consisting of rigorous training schedules.

He is aiming to accumulate over 500 hours of training over the coming weeks. We are all behind you John!

The Student Hardship Fund allows the University to offer support to students who find themselves in serious financial crisis through no fault of their own.

Usually it is only through the support of alumni from Aberystwyth University that makes the fund possible, but this year John as Acting Vice Chancellor is determined to contribute and raise awareness as well.

Training with Richard Matin, Gym Instructor and Personal Trainer at the University’s Sports Centre.

The VC said: “When I eventually reached university at the age of 26 it changed my life, giving me a new and broader outlook. I want to try and ensure that others have the same opportunities to reach their potential.

“Finishing IronMan is without doubt a tough ask but I hope my ambition for our students and the University will help me accomplish it. Aberystwyth University is all about an outstanding student experience, and the Hardship Fund has our students at its heart.”

John is keeping many video diaries during his rigorous training and uploading them to social media for his followers to keep up with. John will compete in the Tenby IronMan Sunday 18th September. You can donate and follow his progress via his micro blog.