Everything you need to know about Bin Parties in Aber

Honestly, what did you do before drinking from a bin?

By now, you’ve had your fair share of nights out in Aber  – the cheesy music in Pier, the awkward dance between ordering a drink and finding a seat in Downies, or experiencing the drunken orgy that is the Yoko’s dancefloor.

You’ve seen it all. But there’s a new trend to mix things up with. The Bin Party.

A bin party is the scary cousin of a punch party. It’s a fairly simple concept – there’s a bin, people turn up and pour their booze in, and then get smashed on the resulting bin juice. What sets it aside from the more traditional punch party is the quantity of alcohol, and the lack of a recipe. That and, as the name would suggest, the use of a bin.

Maybe it’s the novelty factor of using a bin instead of a sensible container for the booze, or the tendency towards an increasingly stronger mixture as more drinks get added. There’s something about bin parties that just encourages chaos.

Whatever it is, it’s certainly took the common student household by storm. Students from first to their final years have been making their own Bin Parties during whatever period available to them – after exam celebrations, end of year parties, or a simple house-warming type of event. The Bin Party has revolutionised the way to have a punch party.

Another great advantage of having a bin party is that it provides you with an almost scientific approach to making signature cocktails you won’t exactly remember.

If your concoction is too strong and leaves a dank aftertaste in your mouth, simply add some more mixer. If it’s too weak, chuck in a bottle of vodka or two. Do that a few times and you’ve basically became a bartender, and everybody will love you for it.

Bin Party attendee Jack Reed said: ‘When I first went to a bin party it was unlike any party I’ve ever been to before. Think about those American Frat parties you’ve seen in films – it was like that. Every university student needs to experience at least one.”

He added: “There were chants, dunkings and it was all a bit cultish.”

With The Bin Party, students get to experience the sheer level of banter of a night out with just as much fun as a regular party. Third year English Literature student and another Bin Party attendee Shann Clemow said: “It’s a great atmosphere and a lot of fun – especially if you’ve never been. Be sure you give yourself a few days to recover though.”