What it’s like to date someone who is bipolar

‘Don’t take the bad days to heart, there are good days too that you have to cherish’

Bipolar disorder is a condition previously known as manic depression, it can affect your moods which can swing from one extreme to another.

Symptoms of Bipolar disorder depend on which mood you are experiencing and unlike simple mood swings, each extreme episode of bipolar disorder can last between days and weeks (or even longer depending on person to person).

During an episode of depression you may have overwhelming feelings of worthlessness which can potentially lead to thoughts of suicide. You may also feel very creative and view the manic phase of bipolar as a positive experience. However, you may also experience symptoms of psychosis (where you see or hear things that are not there or become convinced of things that are not true).

———

“I wasn’t really bothered when I found out. It doesn’t really make a difference to who they actually are, it’s just a part of them. I was a bit worried as my Mothers’ boyfriend is Bipolar and he’s a wanker but I think that’s just him.

It can affect our relationship though. They can be fine one minute then get overly emotional over anything from a film to an internet meme. Although, sometimes when they get upset I don’t take it as seriously because it normally passes; even though I attempt to try and cheer them up it can be very tiring having to put up with it at times but it is worth it in the end.

If something annoys them, you will know about it – regardless of if you want to and their anger and frustration will be taken out on you as you are the closest person to them. Other than that they can have really down days where their really depressed and don’t want to talk but the alternative side is when they resemble a sloth clinging to a branch.

Sometimes I do a small thing which can be annoying on a bad day. It’s a nightmare and they can really snap. Really big arguments can be had on those days, but at the end of it when they normally realise it wasn’t as big of a deal as it was made out to be and they forgive and forget.

When they’re really mad at you for really nothing at all depending on your own mood it can be funny to watch as an outsider but this can just aggravate them more. Showing them everyday things at the end of a depressive phase is sort of entertaining when their chemicals are still unbalanced and they can’t fully handle their emotions. This can lead to them melting and tearing up over the slightest things. It’s nice to know though that they can see the funny side of things as a generally positive person the majority of the time and see from my perspective when their mood just switches from different extremes.

Don’t take the bad days to heart, there are good days too and rest periods and it’s those you have to cherish.”

———

As told to Claudia Pocrnić

For reader’s based in Aberystwyth, Mind Group based by the Rummers’ Bridge is an excellent source of support.