The Art’s Centre is the best thing at Aber, so why aren’t we using it?

If we don’t use it, we’ll lose it

We want the Art’s Centre to stay in Aber, so we might as well use it. Here’s why.

There was some pretty bad news about the Arts Centre the other day, as it posted financial losses and some hefty job cuts. We’re used to hearing about the University doing poorly financially with pay cuts (unless you’re departing VC April McMahon) and Pantycelyn being issues with regular protests over the past few years, but this is something that is perhaps even more worrying than any other financial issue on campus.

It’s fair to say that the Art’s Centre is the cultural heart and soul of not just Penglais Campus, but Aberystwyth as a whole. So why is it suffering such decline? No doubt a good portion of the blame resides with the people who run the place, but we, the student body, have to realise that a good amount of the responsibility lies with us. We’ve taken the place for granted, and if we don’t start appreciating it, we’ll lose it.

Most students only really use the Art’s Centre on the May Ball, or as a part of one of the larger Blackhouse events, if that. This is a damn shame – between the other amazing events and having the best café on campus, there’s no reason for students to treat it as just something they pass between food at the union and their lectures.

A mile nicer than Starbucks

University is the best opportunity you’ll ever have to try something new, to do something you wouldn’t otherwise have the chance to. Orchestras, Ballets, and fantastic theatre performances are all right there on our doorstep, and it’s all at Aberystwyth prices with a hefty discount for students. It doesn’t matter if you’re a little less Holst and a little more Taylor Swift, when tickets for concerts are going for less than the price of a pint there’s no excuse not to mix up your usual weekend routine of going out and spending too much for a fairly forgettable night.

Look what you’re missing out on

If you’ve got a bit of time between lectures, skip the overpriced Starbucks and check out the Art’s centre. Pick up a leaflet, see what events are coming up and if there’s anything you’d be interested in, go. Because if you don’t, not only are you stupidly missing out on what is frankly one of the best parts of living and studying in Aberystwyth, but you’ll be helping out in the crash of a brilliant institution.