Too many women are forgotten on International Women’s Day

We could have done more to celebrate it

International Women’s Day was celebrated yesterday, on Tuesday 8th March and most of us probably saw the banner on Google and didn’t think anymore of it. I’m pro-feminism when it comes to equal rights and the expectation to be hairless mammals (no one has the time or skin resistance to shave everyday. If you want a smooth hair free mammal, find a dolphin,) and Aber didn’t really celebrate the achievements associated with this day.

Back in 2013, Andy Murray won Wimbledon and was hailed as its first British winner, but it was won by British tennis player Virginia Wade in 1977. She is the only British woman to win all titles in the four major Grand Slams, whereas Andy Murray has never held all of these titles. This is unfair enough but the fact Wimbledon’s female champions win a giant plate over the men’s champions, who win a massive fuck off trophy is another level of unfair.

Amelia Earhart needs to be remembered

Early aviation records show Amelia Earhart was the first female aviator to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean. This pretty epic piece of history was never taught to me throughout lower, higher and further education. I feel let down by the Minister of Education that this was never featured on any syllabus. Similar kick arse women in history are Marie Curie – a pioneer in radioactivity therapy which has heavily influenced cancer treatment of today. In my History and Science classes, this absolute legend was glossed over with little to no reference.

Marie Curie pioneered radioactive therapy

There are so many women glossed over in history. Modern feminists, like Emma Watson, and unexpected figures turning historical gender stereotypes on their head, such as Kim Kardashian who is becoming the main breadwinner in her family, highly feature in today’s media. But let’s not forget the women before them, or are just as – if not more – important. Women rule, OK?