The best places to cry on campus this Valentine’s Day

Just let it out

Exams, deadlines, seminars, readings, money, friends – if you ever feel like you just need to be away from it all for a while, get in touch with your emotions and have a little sob, then the Tab is here to help you.

With Valentines just round the corner, here are the best moping spots that Aberystwyth university has to offer.

Level F Beanbag

The beanbag corner however is if you’re pretending that you’re a good student by being in library but still need a quick sob because college didn’t prepare you for university. Tucked away amongst the diplomatic archives you can escape the judging eyes of your peers by curling up for 20 minutes before soldiering on.

This spot is ideal for those people who want to do their work in the peace of the library, but would rather sob in comfort rather than on the tiled floor of the bathroom.

Back of the Union

Maybe you can melt into the sofa…

Maybe you were grabbing a cheeky midday pint and realised you have a deadline tomorrow, the only logical solution is to cry because nobody has it worse right? You head to sofas at the back of the deserted Union dance-floor and bury your face in the leather. The Union isn’t an ideal place to cry, but nobody will judge you if you’ve got to take a minute to reconsider your life choices through the power of wailing. This spot comes complete with a cheap bar, because nothing cures sadness like getting flat-out drunk in the middle of the day.

PJM Lounge

The haven of all defeated students

Sometimes when you’re studying you hit a wall and you can’t stop the tears from flowing. At PJM you’ll be surrounded by people in exactly the same boat as you. Everyone in PJM lounge is there because they have an assignment due in the next 48 hours, and they’re all just as stressed as you. Hell, they’re probably crying already, so you can be sure that you won’t be judged for doing the same. And if Yik Yak is anything to go by, you may even witness/partake in the occasional game of office chair tag to cheer yourself up.

Arts Centre Cinema

In the dark nobody can hear you cry

The Art’s Centre is an underrated spot if you want to get away from it all and nothing says procrastinating like watching a film. The cinema is the perfect spot for the shy ones amongst us; dark, entertainment and warmth – what more could you want from a crying spot.

People noticing your red eyes as you walk out? It was an emotional film, okay? Okay!? Sorry for having feelings!

National Library Bench

Nice view though, right?

Did that girl you like just send back ‘K’? You poured your heart out to her, making full use of appropriate emojis and revealing your innermost feelings, and all you received in response was that single, heart-crushing letter. You feel like your heart is going to start bleeding through your mouth, so you might as well go to some place scenic and watch the sun set. I mean people in films do it right? Must be good for something.

Careers Office

Here to help you, 24/7

The wonderful people in the careers office have seen worse blubbering messes that what you can ever produce. Didn’t get that job you applied for in a panic over Christmas and now you think you’re life is over? Well pop an appointment with Careers Services and go have a little cry to them.

Who needs a job when you can get a career in acting as you cry like Toby Maguire from Spiderman about your failing prospects in life?

PJM Woods

No judgement. Promise.

Sometimes at uni you’ll take enough drugs to tranquillise a whale. You may be having a deep conversation with a fluffy pink bunny rabbit called Cuthbert who isn’t really there, but it’s okay, because deep in the woods of PJM or right past it at Aber’s viewpoint is the only place in Aber where everyone else has also taken enough drugs to tranquillise a whale. They can see Cuthbert too. Don’t worry about Cuthbert. He’s your friend.

Hugh Owen Library Entrance

Sometimes the world needs to know you’re hurting

You’ve had a shit day. Your flatmates woke you up with loud sex, you didn’t do your seminar readings and you can’t afford the desperately needed coffee. Sometimes you just want to the world to feel your pain, why not break down in public, people are far more sympathetic if you make a display.

The doorway to the library is the perfect spot to have your tantrum, students won’t be able to avoid helping you. They’ll quite literally trip over you with sympathy. After all, being comforted by strangers is far better than talking to your friends about your problems, that’s a fact.

Uni Swimming Pool

Always time for a quick dip

Crying isn’t dignifying. You’re not crying, it’s the chlorine. Can you see any tears in the pool? No, because you weren’t crying that’s why, you just decided to go swimming for the first time in four years at the same time you failed your exam. Purely coincidence.

Your Room

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best ones. Tuck yourself in at 5pm, grab you bargain £1 CK pizza and throw on Bridget Jones’ Diary, because you know what? Uni can’t hurt you under your duvet.