Dead Minke whale finally removed from Aber beach

It washed up on Christmas Day

A Minke whale has been removed from Ynyslas beach with the help of diggers, a crane and a lorry.

The 15 foot mammal washed up on the Dyfi National Nature Reserve beach on Christmas Day, with hundreds venturing down to see the bizarre sight.

After previous efforts to remove the whale were postponed due to bad weather, the Coastguard warned people not to touch or get too close to the whale because it was a “biohazard”.

The whale was successfully removed yesterday.

Credit: Ali Chedgy, Natural Resources Wales

A Natural Resources Wales spokeman said: “The dead Minke whale, after being on the beach at Ynyslas for just over a week, has now been removed because of environmental health concerns.

“It was a real challenge involving diggers and cranes to get the dead whale into a lorry at the entrance to the beach. Hundreds of people have visited the dunes and beach to see the Minke whale over the Christmas break.”

Canolfan Ymwelwyr Dyfi Ynyslas Visitor Centre added: “Hundreds of people have visited the dunes and beach to see the Minke whale over the Christmas break.

For many of us it will be the only time in our lives that we will have been able to see one of these magnificent animals close up.

Although sad that the animal has died, for many of us it has given a greater awareness that these giants of the oceans and seas can be found in the waters around the UK and that marine conservation in those waters is so important.”