Train strikes leave dozens of international students stranded at airports

Many were forced to stay in hostels overnight

Train strikes left scores of international students stranded at airports with no options to return to Aber.

The long-lasting disputes over salaries between Arriva Trains Wales (ATW) and its drivers led to a 24 hour train strike on 4 January – the day most Aber students were expected to return and take their exams.

Many students travelling back could avoid the strikes but dozens of international students who had already pre-booked flights were less fortunate after alternative bus routes had sold out.

Ayse, Law fresher from Istanbul told us: “It’s really annoying. I have to stay in a hotel for the night and take the train tomorrow. It’s a waste of money and time.

“It is harder when you’re an international student who has booked their flight for that day. I can’t just change my flight and plans.”

She added: “Neither did the university or Arriva Trains informed us via mail. I luckily saw it on Facebook. It is so unfair what they’re doing, especially when it’s the end of the holiday and exams are close. If I had not seen the post on Facebook I would have been helpless once I’ve reached Birmingham international.

“Luckily I won’t be missing my exams. I booked my flight on the 4th so I could settle and relax through Tuesday and attend my exam revision lecture on Wednesday.”

The strikes also left English literature student Karan frustrated.

He said: “I found out about the strike through an article shared by a friend. I never received an email from either the university or from Arriva trains, I understand that the university cannot be held responsible but the Arriva should have at least send out an email. I know a few people who had to change travels plans and I actually ran into a friend who was taking the bus back to Aber.

“This situation is an inconvenience. I’ve been travelling for close to 24 hours and being forced to break up the journey further becomes frustrating. This would have been an adventure if it wasn’t so close to the exams but thankfully my exams are on a later date.

“I’ve booked into a hotel beside the airport and I plan to take the train tomorrow.”