Why go to a city uni, when you can be in a seaside town?

Oh I do like to be beside the seaside

aberystwyth beach city uni sea seaside uni by the sea

Beaches, BBQs, bars and beautiful scenery. There’s not much Aberystwyth can’t offer you, and it’s miles better than Ibiza or Ayia Napa.

Not only is it one of the oldest university town in Wales, but our beautiful town of Aberystwyth has not one, but two of the most gorgeous beaches in the UK. There really is no better way to spend your days than on the beach: surfing, having a BBQ, or even revising when the time comes. University is beyond a league table, it is about the experience and what you get out of it, and we can be justly proud of our town which gives us so much.

It’s packed with history and culture, a new multi-million bandstand under way, a historic castle and the National Library of Wales, but crucially our best selling point is our glorious seaside location. The moment you reach Aber and stroll along the Edwardian promenade, with the wonderful sea breeze, we realise how fortunate we are to live and study in this place.

Photo credit: Rebecca James

It might be the sea air, or the shuffling of the waves, but the serenity of the coastal beach life we are so fortunate to have is unbeatable. We have two stunning, award winning, beaches, including the blue flag North beach, looking towards the Snowdonia ranges and Gwynedd coastline, and South beach, which enjoys vast panoramic views of the Irish Sea and the stunning Ceredigion coast. 

Both are just perfect for a spot of relaxation after a hard day’s graft, and a BBQ on the beach is far more satisfying than a hotdog in a grimy beer garden. You might come across the odd dead jellyfish, but it’s nice to be at one with nature.

We have no shortage of bars on the beach either, used to drown our sorrows at our desperate league table rankings. But when we’re not mourning the sorry state of the University itself, a cold beer or two on a long, hot summer day – with the amazing view – is the one. Grab some fish and chips and it will only get better. Who needs league tables when we’ve got this gem? Best be wary of the local seagull populous though, they’ll think nothing of taking your food right out of your hands. They can be very perilous when venturing out of one of our fish and chip shops: they take no prisoners.

Other universities might have playing fields, but there is something truly special about kicking or throwing a ball around by the coast, playing beach volleyball, beach cricket or, of course, as we are in Wales, rugby. As work by Alan Hale shows, Aber offers boat trips and a range of water sports including surfing, sailing, windsurfing and sea kayaking to name but a few.

Wales is truly gorgeous, with over 25 per cent of the country listed as a National Park area, or an Area of Outstanding National Beauty and Aberystwyth lives up to that high acclaim. While it does not have the peaks of the Brecon Beacons or Snowdonia, it has some incredible coastlines and beautiful rolling hills of its own – not forgetting the crisp air. Climbing Pen Dinas or Constitution hill gives a great panorama of much of Mid-Wales, so stunning is the scenery many a student stays in Aber after graduation, understandably hooked into the local community.

It is so easy to forget how how fortunate we are to live in such a beautiful part of the world, so while the summer lasts, we need to go out and see what Aber has to offer, try new experiences and make the most of the great weather.

Lechyd da, cheers.