Woman raped at Union Terrace Gardens

The police are appealing for witnesses

A 21-year-old woman was raped in Union Terrace Gardens between 3 am and 3:30 am on Thursday morning.

The city centre park has been sealed off by police and remained so on Thursday while officers examined the site.

Two men were seen in the vicinity around 3 am are being asked to come forward with any information.

The Police Scotland Area Commander, Chief Inspector Mackie, said: “This was a serious assault on a woman in the city centre and we would urge anyone who may have been in the Union Terrace Gardens area at that time and who saw or heard anything untoward to come forward with any information they may have.

“I’d like to reassure the public that these types of incidents are unusual, however, we would encourage people to be vigilant.”

The area, which is in the centre of Aberdeen’s nightlife, is a common way for student to commute to and get home from clubs. It is not yet known if the woman is a student.

Police were conducting enquires at the scene yesterday and the area remains sealed off to the public.

Police Scotland are asking for anyone with any information to contact them on 101.