Wrap up on the cheap this winter

Or grab a Tab condom – they’re free

Freshers’ is over – it’s time to start thinking about the dreaded Aberdeen winter.

It is one of the most expensive bits in your wardrobe- and possibly the hardest to find on the cheap.

But a winter coat is pretty much a necessity in Scotland, especially in the Deen, where it’s cold no matter the season.

Cheap, chic and bloody freezing.

And a shitty one from Primark will disintegrate as soon as the wind stirs, but that doesn’t mean you have to splash the cash.

Zara tend to do reasonable winter jackets ranging from £70, which can be bulked up with a cheap knit and bright scarf to help keep you toasty.

These accessories will also be handy when that one dick of a flatmate refuses to turn the heating on, as second year Hannah found: “I was sleeping in my dressing gown nearly every night and wearing 5 layers just sitting about.

“My scratchy jumpers even had to be worn to stop hypothermia from setting in.”

It’s all fun and games until the boiler breaks.

Another Scottish necessity is a good pair of winter boots that will keep your from falling on your arse as you slither down Union Street.

All the usual shops will have the common styles- biker, knee high, ankle and wellies.

For a decent pair that will do you more than one winter, try Office. The decent, non-branded heavy boots start from £80.

And Office are also kind enough to offer 10% discount- so you don’t have to think of all your Jaegerbombs going on your new boots.

New Look also have a reasonable selection of boots as well- they just might not last you through to May when the winter here eventually ends.

If you decide to go cheaper, buy a few more. Not only does it mean more styles but it also means you’ve always got a spare when the sole is pulled away.

Drunk, disorderly and fucking cold.

But don’t forget that going out and getting smashed doesn’t stop when the sun does- so dressing for all those Christmas nights out will also mean new gladrags.

You don’t want to be that wanker tottering home in a mini dress begging for jackets/free taxi rides, so find a cheap jacket you won’t be gutted about leaving behind in a cloakroom.

The usual student stops are your best bet- this is one instance where a Primark jacket will do you good. Drink might make you feel warm, but it won’t prevent frostbite.

For anyone who knows Aberdeen – it doesn’t rain, it pours. As you can imagine, the ground becomes slippy as the temperature drops, and wearing heels will make you look like Bambi on ice.

It was the heels, not the booze.

All those new boots you bought from New Look will then come in handy. Pair leather trousers with ankle boots rather than skyscraper heels to avoid injury. Third year Alice said: “I can’t imagine going out with flats on, but one night I slipped on the pavement outside the club and landed flat on the ground.”

The heels weren’t too high but the ground was too slippy. Not only did I get a hell of a bruise, but I was also turned away from the club cause the bouncers thought I was too drunk.”

The other option is tucking into a pub in cosy jumpers and boots- where a Jude Law look-a-like will walk in, like a scene from The Holiday.

And once you’ve got the necessities, start stocking up on accessories.

Her cute hat melted this snowman’s heart…

Scarfs, hats and gloves can totally change an outfit- which is an inexpensive way to update your wardrobe.

Or, if you’re like Classics student Anna find one you can wear with everything: “I have a tartan scarf that I wear all the time, with every outfit. It instantly brightens it up and reminds me of home.”

You don’t have to break the bank to wrap up this winter and could save yourself even more money if you head to the Bon Accord student lock in tonight and scoop up your winter staples with at least 20% off the ticket price.

So get tucked in and start stocking up on your winter essentials- school is back and summer is over.

And if all else fails get a piggyback.