Freshers’ fashion: The good, the bad and the ugly

No matter how hard you try, you will look ridiculous to everyone in the years above

Dressing up at any possible occasion is a much loved part of university life- and it all starts at Fresher’s.

Each night brings a new costume to inevitably ruin. So why spend all of that hard earned double student loan on shit costumes you know you will never wear again?

You will never escape the toga. Just face it. It’s a rite of passage for any fresh-faced newbie and one that poses the most threat, but it’s also the night people are covered up.

You will never escape the toga. Just face it. It’s a rite of passage for any fresh-faced newbie and one that poses the most threat, yet somehow the night people are most covered up.

How seductive.

Primark will run out of bed sheets before freshers’ even starts, so give up now. And getting something from Pound Stretcher will ensure you end up looking like everyone else in the crowd- which will most definitely get you split up from your new pals.

Non-fitted sheets are the best- the savings of a fitted sheet are not worth the embarrassment when the elastic starts to make its way up your leg and you’re too drunk to realise: “I was standing by the bar when my friend came running up to me but accidentally fell, grabbing the end of my toga, ripping it to the floor. Along with my bloody drink.”

A risque approach.

And apparently this is a national problem: “At Glasgow’s fresher’s week I managed to keep my sheet on the whole night until the walk home when all it took was a bit of wind to lift and remove the whole thing off me.”

‘Back to School’ is another memorable evening. If you were clever and remembered to keep any parts of your old school uniform you’ll be set to enjoy a night of mayhem in the one outfit you dreamed of fucking burning.

“I’ll have an age 9 shirt please?”

But if your old school uniform is too conservative all you need to pick up is a short plaid skirt and white shirt about 2 sizes too small to add authenticity.

But the outfit you wear that night won’t resemble your school uniform- it will be 5 inches shorter and paired with ridiculously oversized glasses with no lenses.

One of the better themed nights for those who don’t give a shit about dressing up is the UV night – just wear white.

You will more than likely bump into several people on your way to the club handing out their UV paint and glow sticks to any passing strangers- and there’s a 95% chance one of them will draw a UV dick on you.

100% chance at a Tab party

You may not be wearing paint when you enter the club, but you and your clothes will definitely leave covered in it.

The fumes got to their heads.

A thing to bear in mind wherever you end up for pres is keep your costume on you at all times.

English student, Rachel, said: “In my first year I was going as Katy Perry from the California Girls video. I got the blue wig, the denim shorts, and made a make-shift cake bra. It looked pretty damned authentic.

“Until I left my blue wig in a mate’s room who was away for the weekend and had to grit my teeth through pre looking like the women you find down at the docks.”

And of the most notoriously shit nights is the dreaded foam party, even though it’s definitely too cold in the Deen to justify.

Girls, avoid caking your face in make-up. Emma, a fashions student, said: “I went to my first and last foam party not knowing it was on- so put all my best make-up on. Literally 5 minutes after the foam started my lashes were on my upper lip and my make-up more resembled a Halloween mask.”

Foam downgrades everyone to a three.

The freshers clubs tend to give out ‘Best Costume Prizes’, but the rubbish prizes and lack of care from fellow clubbers doesn’t make it much of a prize.

This will be the first week of not having your parents comment on your outfit as you walk out the door- so feel free to let loose.

But find out when you’re themed nights actually are. There is nothing worse than walking into a costume shop or putting up with the smell of UV paint on a hangover.

So whatever your style- let your freak flag fly. But no matter what the theme- always look out for the guys dressed as Teletubbies.