How to spend your parent’s money wisely

If you wanna swig from the Belvedere bottle you’re gonna have to cut back on your Waitrose shopping.

Managing a student budget is undeniably difficult. Food is never the top priority when one needs to consider frequent nights out, Starbucks and a mac (because as everyone knows it is essential to look cool while taking lecture notes).

This guide may be especially useful for you first years who are trying to get used to the fridge not being magically stocked and mum not setting down a Shepherds pie for you at tea time.

If you need that extra cash so you can party in Nox, or book that LADS TOUR 2014, this guide will help you line your pockets due to all your amazing savings.

With my expert skills (I am basically the student version of Nigella Lawson) I have created this budget food guide and I guarantee you shall save enough money to dress like a famous rapper and throw wads of cash at homeless people

1) Lentils.

Lentils are great for bulking up dishes; it will make your dish look less depressing if you’re too poor to afford more than half a chicken breast, so add it to that empty looking casserole! Lentils also create a delicious cheap curry. Put down that takeaway menu because you can make an amazing, budget, healthy curry from home (ok, it isn’t as good as a takeaway curry, but it still resembles a curry).

All you need to do is cook some frozen veg, add your lentils, add curry paste, a stock cube and whatever else floats you boat. Be a little creative and add raisins, nuts, pineapple, candy floss – whatever you desire, friends.

Are peas and lentils the same thing?

2) Soup

Soup can not only be tasty but it’s also very healthy; perfect for those who are looking to lose a little beer gut from refreshers. It’s so easy to make as you can pretty much add anything – any old veg and spices left in your cupboard, an old sock, leftover pizza.

Fry the veg to make it tender, add a stock cube, put it into the blender and voila. You can also freeze that soup so you can eat it at another time, wowza, you’re frugal and resourceful!

3) Stir fry

Stir frys are the perfect student dish as they require very little effort. Just boil some noodles, fry some veggies and if you can afford meat, put that in! I found the perfect sweet and sour sauce recipe from the BBC website and trust me here, it actually tastes like your local takeway!

Use 9 tbsp of tomato ketchup, 3tbsp of malt vinegar, 4 tbsp dark muscavado sugar and 2 garlic cloves, mix that together and you have sweet and sour sauce. It’s so good, you have to try it for yourself, unless you don’t want to, that’s also ok.

We know, it’s hard to resist…

4) Slow Cooker

If you’re a hardcore carnivore investing in a slow cooker is wise as you can still tuck into delicious meat without it  eroding your bank account. With a slow cooker you can buy the cheapest cuts going – shitty eyeballs, lips, tentacles, whatever. Leave your meat in the slow cooker for 4-5 hours with some seasoning and veg and it transforms itself like an enchanted spell and becomes beautiful.

Pulled pork is a favourite of mine. Combine your meat with some coriander, cumin, pepper, salt and onion. Eat with rolls and coleslaw and you have one fine dish. Invite your friends for this feast or if you don’t have any, this is how you can make some!

5) Not Eating

Another obvious one is not having lunch at uni. I know the canteen is a tempting mistress but you must be strong! Buy some wraps/sandwiches and easy fillings like packets of ham, cheese, Nutella, or if, you’re feeling quirky, salmon paste. Whatever filling displays your character.

Then you can have easy cheap lunches during the week and act self righteous eating it whilst your friends waste their money on an overpriced sandwich at subway. You can even make it an ideology, like you’re sticking your middle finger up to capitalism.

Eat your heart out, Subway.

6) Be Prepared

Another good way to save money is to set a food budget and do a  shop using a list every week. This saves the temptation of going into Tesco/ASDA/GroceriesAreUS and becoming over excited with choice. The aisles become a blur and, throwing whatever you find in your basket, you end up coming out with a month’s supply of cookies and chocolate milk.

Happy saving! And if you want to thank me for all these helpful tips, please feel free to take me out for dinner, I haven’t been able to afford solid food since Christmas.