A brief history of influencer and YouTuber boxing matches

Never forget when Ed Matthews knocked out Simple Simon in 48 seconds flat

Just recently YouTuber Jake Paul and ex-Love Island star Tommy Fury had a boxing match in Saudi Arabia. Tommy Fury, brother of world heavyweight champion Tyson Fury, won the match by split decision. However this wasn’t the first boxing match of its kind and the events actually go back all the way to 2017 when Joe Weller boxed Theo Baker in a local gym and then went on to fight KSI.

Here’s a brief history of influencers and YouTubers who boxed each other

KSI and Joe Weller

Back in 2018 KSI was officially declared the winner by technical knockout one minute and 30 seconds into the third round. It was 30 seconds into the first round before Joe Weller even threw his first punch and KSI had already landed several.

The fight was organised after Joe Weller previously beat Theo “Malfoy” Baker in a charity match the year before and KSI was signed as his next opponent.

KSI vs Logan Paul

After beating Joe Weller, KSI called out Logan Paul for a fight in August 2018 only a few months after his match with Joe. Their fight was a draw with two judges scoring 57-57 and the other judge 58-57 in favour of KSI. The fight was promoted as “the biggest internet event in history” and “the biggest amateur boxing match in history.”

KSI vs Logan Paul again

They had a rematch in 2019 which took place in 2019. KSI won this one with two judges scoring 56-55 and 57-54 in favour of KSI and the other third judge scoring 56-55 in favour of Logan Paul.

Floyd Mayweather Jr vs Logan Paul

Floyd Mayweather Jr and Logan Paul boxed in the summer of June 2021. It was an exhibition match at the Hard Rock Stadium in Florida. The fight reportedly sold more than one million pay-per-view buys. The fight went the full eight-round distance and no winner was announced. Mayweather said Paul was better than what he thought he was and he was a “tough, rough competitor.”

Ed Matthews vs Simple Simon

19-year-old Ed Matthews brutally knocked out 52-year-old Simple Simon just 48 seconds into the TikTok boxing event. It was called TikTok’s biggest boxing event

Jake Paul vs Tommy Fury

Jake Paul vs Tommy Fury was billed as “The Truth.” In February 2023 Tommy Fury won the fight by a split decision. Tommy’s older brother and world heavyweight champion, Tyson Fury, told Jake Paul how impressed he was by his performance after losing to a narrow split decision against Tommy in Saudi Arabia.

Some other notable matches include Jake Paul vs Nate Robinson, Deji Olatunji vs Floyd Mayweather Jr, Jay Swingler vs Cherdleys, Deji Olatunji vs Vinnier Hacker and KSI vs FaZe Temperrr.

You can find a more extensive history of influencer boxing matches here.