amber heard talented mr ripley

FYI, the rumour Amber Heard said lines from a film in the Johnny Depp trial is fake

People were suggesting she said lines from The Talented Mr Ripley

A social media rumour claiming Amber Heard used lines from a movie during her defamation trial with Johnny Depp has been officially debunked.

Amber Heard and Johnny Depp are currently taking part in a defamation trial in Virginia. Depp initially sued his ex-wife Heard for defamation for $50million following an article she wrote for the Washington Post in 2018 where she said she was a “public figure representing domestic abuse”. Heard did not mention Depp by name but he claimed the article caused him to lose acting roles. Heard then counter-sued Depp for $100million.

Last week Amber Heard took to the stand and began sharing her testimony including claims Depp had threatened to kill her, slapped her multiple times and sexually assaulted her with a bottle.

On Twitter a post went viral claiming Amber Heard used quotes from the 1999 movie The Talented Mr Ripley during her opening statement.

The unverified post claimed when Amber went on the stand on Thursday 5th May, she said: “The thing with Johnny… it’s like the sun shines on you, and it’s glorious. And then he forgets you and it’s very, very cold … When you have his attention, you feel like you’re the only person in the world, that’s why everybody loves him so much.”

The quote is identical, apart from the name, to the one said by Gwyneth Paltrow’s character Marge about Jude Law’s character Dickie Greenleaf in the movie.

However it has since been debunked by fact-checking website Snopes that Amber Heard did not say these words at all during the trial.

They said the quotes Amber was alleged to have said were presented without any evidence which was suspicious given the whole trial is being streamed. Snopes also pointed out it was Amber’s lawyer who made the opening statement for the trial, not Amber herself, as the online rumour suggested.

In the trial Amber actually said: “When I was around Johnny I felt like the most beautiful person in the world—then he would disappear.”

Since the trial began in April social media users have accused Amber Heard of using lines from other films including Gone Girl and Notting Hill.

One person claimed Amber was using the line “lots of tea” from the Julia Roberts film Notting Hill. However Snopes proved this was not the case as the phrase is incredibly generic and used before Notting Hill.

Featured image credit via Jim Lo Scalzo/AP/Shutterstock