Another day, another viral status from a woman calling H&M out for their ‘irresponsible’ sizing

tips

babe  • 

She’s a size 12 and was forced to buy a size 20 dress

In what seems like a depressingly frequent phenomenon, a woman has gone viral after calling out H&M for their apparently freakishly small sizes.

Marianne Gray, from Glasgow, usually fits into size 12 clothes and says she was “utterly horrified” when on a trip to H&M last Sunday she was barely able to get a navy dress in her normal size past her knees. She was instead forced to buy a size 20, four sizes up from what she usually needs but strangely, a “perfect fit”.

The 29-year-old left a furious post on the store’s Facebook page telling them they “should be ashamed”, which has since gone viral. She writes: “Now I am relatively secure in my body, but I can only imagine the psychological impact being a size 20 could have on a young impressionable girl. I was quite upset myself! I am a 12 and you made me a 20. I have never seen such irresponsibility in this day and age. I am ashamed of you, horrified by you and will not be shopping in H&M again unless this is resolved.

“I know your excuse will be that your sizes vary – perhaps you should take measurements of individual items and label them differently. That dress IS NOT a UK 20. Do not blame manufacturers for your issues, it is YOUR company who label these items and it is YOUR company who clearly has issues with everyday women wearing your clothes.

“It is disgusting behaviour on your part. You should be ashamed of yourselves.”

It’s since been shared and liked thousands of times with many women posting comments underneath about their own similar negative experiences.  In response the company said: “At H&M we hugely value all customer feedback. H&M sizes are the same across all the 64 markets in which we operate and online. We work with our own in-house sizing department to ensure size and fit on all collections however the fit of a garment may vary depending on style, cut and fabric.”

But it’s not the first time the brand has been accused of strange, tiny sizing. Last year they were attacked for using super skinny mannequins in their store, and last summer a student called the company out when she couldn’t fit into size 16 jeans, despite normally being a 14.

In a similar viral post on Facebook, Ruth Clemens wrote:  “I am not overweight (not that that should matter) and although I’m 5 foot 11 my body is pretty average shape-wise. It’s already difficult enough for me to find clothes that fit well because of my height, why are you making jeans that are unrealistically small? Am I too fat for your everyday range? Should I just accept that accessible and affordable high street and on-trend fashion isn’t for people like me?

“You might recognise the top I’m wearing – it’s one of yours and it’s a size Medium. Sort it out would you. #whatdoesplussizeevenmean #bodypositive #fashionforall”

Here’s until the next time someone bursts out of a sock and H&M blames it “variation of sizing” I guess.